3

"So... how was the rich people school?" O asked me from where he was sitting in his back yard.

I threw my backpack down on the patio table, groaning as I sunk into the chair beside him. I didn't bother answering, I just grabbed the beer he was drinking and took a swig.

"You're not supposed to be drinking, Zane." Cassidy reminded me from O's lap. I wanted to roll my eyes at her, but out of respect I refrained. She didn't need to tell me that. I've heard it enough. It's not like I had a problem. I don't have a drinking problem. It's just one of the many conditions my parents had set for me, if I wanted to continue living my cushy life style, as they had put it.

"I'm guessing it didn't go great." Gavin said, his eyes darting between me and the beer in my hand.

"It was fine." I told them, ignoring the mocking smiles on their faces. When I told them I was leaving Hawkings for West Bridge, they told me I would last longer at the reform school. They said I wouldn't last a week without hitting someone. They knew how I can't stand the type of kids that go there.

"Meet anyone interesting?" Cassidy mused, she leaned forward as she spoke, plucking the beer from my hands. This time I actually did roll my eyes at her.

"No. I met exactly who I expected to meet. Except for this one guy. His name is Cain. He seemed pretty cool, though I have my doubts from his friends. They were all... typical rich kids I guess. Except one of them." I remembered Seren as I let the words out.

The entire lunch period, she barely said a word. She didn't join in the conversation that the girls were having about some party they had all went to last weekend. She only answered when she was spoken to. There was tension in the air around her, like the kind of tension that happens after you have a big fight with someone and you pretend none of it ever happened. The tension that you can feel in the air. No one else seemed to notice though. No one else was awkward. They acted like it was all normal. I didn't try to speak to her. It's not that I didn't want to, of course I wanted to. She just seemed a million miles away.

"Zane?" I heard O say, snapping me back to reality.

"What?" I asked him, noticing now that all my friends were looking at me.

"What's got you so lost in thought?" Gavin asked me.

"Or who." Cassidy chimed in, her eyes narrowing at me.

"Nothing. I was just thinking about one of Cain's friends." I told them truthfully.

"Yeah? And who is she?" Gavin asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Who said it was a she?" I said, and I heard the defensiveness in my own voice.

Gavin chuckled, shooting his eyes towards O. "Are you joking? That's the same expression O wore after he met this one." He jerked his thumb at Cassidy, who laughed silently, bringing her hand up to stroke O's cheek.

"Fine. It was a girl, her name is Seren, and seriously guys... I think she's the most gorgeous person I've ever seen, in real life and on social media." I told them, and her face came into my mind as I spoke.

It had to be a crime to be that good looking. It wasn't fair.

"Hey..." Cassidy started, in fake offence.

"Besides you, Cassidy. Of course." I said, causing her to laugh.

"No offence, Zane, but you think that about every girl, until you sleep with them." Gavin said, shaking his head.

"Not this one. I'm serious." I assured them. "I wouldn't be surprised if she was famous, like a model or something."

"So what? Is she your next conquest? What about Holly?" Cassidy asked me as she brought her own beer to her lips, taking a gulp.