Chapter Nine

Maverick finally broke the silence. "What are you?"

My already thin lips pursed into a line. I had done so well up until now. All the meditation had payed off and I had buried the predator inside me deep deep down along with my true self. But I had screwed up. My hot temper had always been a problem. The Fae Male across from me was clearly nobility and I had just given him precious clues to my ancestry. As if revealing my magic and Keira yesterday had not been enough. For years I had stayed away from the Fae and kept a low profile and the minute I meet this arrogant asshole I just bare all my secrets. What was wrong with me?

I wanted to be mad at myself, but it had felt so good to let go. To unleash myself. Let the predator out to play. There was no going back, but I thought maybe I was done hiding. I wouldn't complete the task I had been raised for, so surely the Male in front of me was no threat. I wasn't interested in his world, in the Fae. Would it be so hard for them to let me live in mine? I wasn't sure if he could see the internal fight in my eyes, but he let me keep my silence.

Castiel returned and ran a manicured hand down his tired face. "Boris was not happy to leave you here Delany."

I wasn't sure I would ever learn what inspired such loyalty from the bear shifter. He had only known me for a little over a year and I had done my absolute best to keep him at arms length. Maybe that had been stupid of me though, if I had any hope of being myself and living in peace I would need allies. Powerful ones.

"Why don't we have a seat in the conference room."

I wasn't aware the Guild had a conference room, but I followed the nephilim out of the training room. I was hesitant to give Maverick my back, but Keira was behind me and she would let out a warning if the Male tried to attack. If she didn't tear him to ribbons first that is.

We silently filed out of the room after Castiel who fought the tension I could see spreading across his shoulders at having me behind him. Yes, Castiel, I was a wolf in sheep's clothing but no more. He led us to a room that had always been used for storage. The warehouse was a mishmash of rooms and hallways. The layout changing with every Guild Master. Santano had been content to leave things how they were when he took over, but it seemed Castiel was not the same. From what little I knew of the man I wasn't surprised.

The room had been transformed into a sleek office conference room. I could still smell the freshly dried paint on the cinderblock walls. The floor was covered in soft gray tile, and a large walnut table with black leather chairs was settled in the middle of the room. Hung on the wall across from the door and at the end of the table was a flat screen TV. I whistled in appreciation of the work that had gone into this. At least I now knew why the two men had shown up at my house so late last night.

Castiel took a seat at the head of the table and Maverick and I sat across from each other on either side of him. We could be civil. Keira decided she didn't like the cramped office space and decided to take up a position at the door.

"Alright, well... I just... You two... Dammit I don't even know how to start." The normally articulate man to my left stuttered out. "Let's start with this. Delany why were you so mad at Maverick."

"I do not need his protection." I spat the last word. If I had been Keira my hackles would be raised.

"I just... don't understand." Castiel finally replied.

"I do." Maverick spoke quietly, leveling me with a dark gaze. "In Fae culture requiring protection automatically elevates your protector to a higher position. If I protect Delany, and she allows it, then I must be more powerful than her. She must need that protection because she cannot handle the threat herself." The Male across from me didn't ask the question and I didn't answer it.