honey smiles

Simon Basset watched you from across the room, neatly tucked back from the lively crowd by the far wall, as Lady Danbury's annual ball was in full swing. Gold twinkled all around him, as though the accents of the ballroom had somehow managed to capture the shine of the evening stars themselves. The rather ostentatious chandelier, that hung in place of beauty above the very center of the dancefloor, glistened it's light through the dangling crystals that resembled the purest of wintertime icicles. A golden fixture with the most beautiful of jewels reflected the light in warm beams of an orangish, rather honeyed hue across the ballroom. Stretching far as to leave no corner or crevice untouched by it's piercing glow.

Simon's eyes followed you, as you stood amongst a sea of bustling debutantes on the hunt for a husband this season, watching the way the golden glow danced across the delicate beading of your sweeping gown. The pale lilac tone shimmering as though pure seams of silver were woven within the springtime fabric. Your sleeves cascaded over your shoulders in a sweep of soft linen, but stopped abruptly before it could conceal the warm flesh of your upper arms. The white of your silk gloves as pure as freshly fallen snow, and with an amused smirk hidden against the curl of his lips, Simon watched as they concealed your fingers that aimlessly fiddled in front of your embellished bodice. Even as distance stood vast between your two bodies, with many others filling the space with their tiresome conversations and rather eccentric attire choices, Simon Basset could feel the discomfort radiating from your squirming stance as though rays from the chandelier above. 

He hadn't the slightest clue to the amount of time in which you stood across the room, enduring a rather dreadful conversation with an Earl you obviously wished you hadn't have had the pleasure of meeting. But eventually, he watched as you kindly excused yourself and with a soft twirl of your hidden heels against the ballroom floor, you turned in his direction. As though you knew exactly where he stood amongst the sea of the ton, your eyes found Simon's deep brown eyes that shown with a mirthful gaze immediately.

The fabric of your pale purple gown swished around your ankles, as you bounded through the clusters of women you wished not to engage with and many pestering mothers who knew your own, making your way towards Simon Basset who stood relaxed in the corner of the ballroom. A clear and incredibly irksome expression of smugness revealed in a soft glow across his facial features, as his eyes seemed to laugh with the amusement he made sure his lips concealed from your view, as you continued your way towards the man. 

The ballroom was rather warm, as the stifling atmosphere filled with the scent of conflicting perfumes and richly poured alcohol, grazing over your exposed flesh with a breath of humidity as you made your way through the barrier of dancing bodies. The music played loudly around you, as though not a single ounce of oxygen was left unscathed by the touch of a sharp and melodic violin. But as you finally reached Simon, in his seemingly protected corner of the bustling ballroom, nothing around you seemed to have much presence as you watched his mirthful expression grow. His lips curling from their ghost of a smirk into a rather full blown grin of pure amusement, as his brow arched at the sight of your less then appreciative glare you sent hurdling his way. Your heels clicking furiously against the reflective surface but left inaudible in the presence of such loudly strummed symphonies. 

"You bloody left me Basset!" You hissed through your faintly glossed lips, resisting every urge to rest your hands down upon your hips. Staring up at Simon through the deep flutter of your lashes, your exasperated expression burned intensely from your gaze, as though you might in some way scorch through his perfectly tailored clothes like the rays of the sun. Despite his towering height over your frame, it felt as though you were looking down at a scolded child. But unlike a child in the midst of trouble, Simon hadn't the slightest shred of remorse as his smile only seemed to widen with your softly restrained outburst.