Third Year // Chapter 3

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair..."

Neville, Dean, Seamus, and I broke into a small fit of giggles while Dumbledore stroked and play with his long beard. We kept it quiet until McGonagall cleared her throat. As soon as she did, both Neville and I let out a snort causing everyone near us to look over. 

"You two are like the best of best friends! You guys literally laugh the same!" Seamus joked.

"Oh shut it, Finnigan!" I said before Dumbledore began to speak once more.

"First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor" We all clapped while he stood up and did a little bow. Once we died down, Dumbledore resumed his speech.

"As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!" 

Before he could even finish Hagrid's name the Great Hall erupted in cheers, with a few jeers from the Slytherin table of course. I stepped up onto my bench (I also pulled Neville up with me) and we whistled and clapped harder than everyone else.  Hagrid fumbled to stand up knocking over the goblets on the staff table (causing a few to break).

Dumbledore waved his hands for us to quiet down and for Neville and me to sit down so he could continue with his speech. As I sat down I banged my elbow on the table. Neville asked if I was okay and I told him I was as Dumbledore spoke again.

"Finally, on a more disheartening note, Hogwarts, at the request of the Ministry of Magic will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban." The once happy room was now quiet and had a looming feel of sadness and fear. I guess my breathing showed my fear, cause I felt Neville's hand rub my thigh.

"It's going to be okay, Lori." He smiled at me and squeezed my thigh. "Dumbledore just said they won't harm us unless we provoke them." I nodded my head and thanked him as a glorious feast appeared before our eyes. When it did, I didn't even get a chance to say something before Dean and Seamus shouted out.

"FOOOOOOOOOD!" 

***

The Feast was absolutely glorious and funny. Seamus and Dean halfway through started to have a battle with the peas on the table. They ended up shooting the peas all the way over the Hufflepuff table which earned a laugh from Cedric, who followed where the peas came from. Now we were heading up to the Common Room. 

"Fortuna Major," Seamus said. The Fat Lady told him to wait as she continued to sing (seeing as her apparent goal was to sing high enough to shatter glass this year). "Fortuna Major!" Seamus tried again, with the same fate. 

"You try, she just won't listen," Seamus said as Harry walked up. Harry walked over and spoke sternly to her but she kept on singing. She screeched a very awful note before smacking the glass on something in her painting. 

"AAHH! Amazing! Just with my voice!" 

"Fortuna Major!" Harry almost shouted. She groaned and finally let us in. "She's still doing that, after three years!" He said walking into the Common Room. 

"She can't even sing!" Seamus joined in with him. They shared a small moment while walking up the stairs. While Dean walked right into a ghost causing him to freak out like he just stepped through a spider's web. I laughed as I sat down.