MCPEW 037 THE ORDEAL 1

A few days later, I was finally discharged from the hospital. Elisah took me home with her and gave me a temporary place to stay until I recovered from my injury.

Their bungalow house was located by the seaside. Thus giving me a breathtaking view of the sea.

"This place is paradise," I mumbled cheerfully, fascinated by the magnificent view of the boundless ocean glittering like silvery crystals against the early morning sun.

The strong wind billowed my hair as it draped my back like a luminous cape. The dancing waves washed the sand ashore, and I giggled in delight as they tickled my feet.

"Isn't it beautiful?" A voice behind me spoke, tearing my gaze from the rising sun. It was Elisha.

We are about the same age. She works as a part-time tutor in the city. She graduated this year but she couldn't proceed to college since the nearest college was private and they couldn't afford the tuition. She applied for a scholarship too but failed since they lack the connection.

A lovely smile crept on my lips when a pair of soft, bright eyes met mine.

"Beautiful? That's an understatement." I responded, giving her a quick glance before shifting my attention back to the view. "It's heavenly!" I mumbled with awe and Elisah couldn't agree more.

"Baby Faith must be hungry." She began, glancing at my round, protruding stomach with the tenderness that melted my heart. "Let's have breakfast, Mama had prepared it already."

My fingers automatically flew to my stomach, my eyes glowing with pride. Two more months and I will give birth to Faith. That's a gift which I will soon receive.

I was still wearing the name bracelet so I know my child's name is Faith.

I took Elisa's fingers, clasp it to my own, and we walked hand in hand as our bare feet traversed the sands.

A few moments later after breakfast, the doorbell rang. Elisa stopped knitting the sock she was making for Faith. I threw her a sideway glance as she got up and hurried to open the door.

I was still attentively sewing a torn dress for Faith when she returned clutching an envelope on her trembling fingers.

Elisa slumped on the long wooden chair beside me. Her surly mood was the first to greet my sight when I looked up. I knew that instant something was wrong.

Her mother left for work a few hours ago after breakfast, and so her father. That makes us alone inside the house.

Concern bloomed inside me, I stopped sewing, placed the garment I was repairing the tear and gave her my full attention. I knew the moment her teary- eyes met my own this was a huge problem.

"A notice had just arrived. We should leave this house ASAP!" She murmured tearfully.

"L-leave? Why?" My voice trembled.

"The houses living in this area will be demolished by next week. The owner wanted to take his land back."

"Couldn't we just convince them to wait a few more weeks? We have no place to go!" I exclaimed, filled with exasperation.

Elisah shook her head, making my spirit sink. She plainly handed me the folded piece of paper. I tore the envelope open. I couldn't be more shocked after reading the ultimatum.

"The houses built in this property would be demolished. Why? Business. This land would be converted to A Luxurious Hotel we can never afford." Elisa added bitterly, the thought left a sting in her heart, it showed in her expressive face as I looked at her.

"Maybe we could talk to the owner for one last time."

Elisa did not respond, just shook her head. I didn't argue further and I hugged her into my arms as she burst into tears.

I closed my eyes firmly, I couldn't allow this to happen without doing anything. I told myself as my hold tightened around her.

I must do something! I just couldn't watch the people who helped me suffer!

***

"Belle," Elisah called me by the name she gave me. "The Crawfords are the most powerful family here in Cordova, almost as powerful and influential as the royal family. They are dangerous." She warned, her voice quivered by the mention of the Crawfords.

For a brief moment, as the fleeting memory of the warning faded by the sound of the bus screeching to a sudden stop, I felt the sudden urge to turn back.

Passengers rushed to the open door of the bus, it took me a moment to find the courage to get up and follow.

When I was out of public transportation, the hustle and bustle of the city greeted me.

Vehicles both private and public crowded the highway. People from all walks of life rushed past me as I stood there watching with surprising amusement at the busy surroundings under the hot blazing sun that turned my cheeks into a bright pink.

The city was so different from life at the seaside. It was more active and full of life. Yet, despite the glamor the city could offer, my heart still belongs to the ocean.

"How may I help you, Miss?" A good-natured man in his thirties called out, taking my full attention.

I was thankful for the destruction. It gave me a chance to ask the way to my destination.

"Good afternoon Sir!" I cheerfully greeted, "Could you please tell me the way to Crawford's Mansion?" I stared at him with wide, hopeful eyes.

He was hesitant at first but when he saw I was so eager to hear the answer he finally responded.

"For a pregnant woman like you, it would be a tedious journey. You see, it will take another one-hour journey from here to reach their Mansion."

My shoulders fell. I didn't know that it was too far. I hadn't had the chance to ask Elisa since she will discover what I'm up to. I just told her that I will buy groceries and go to the park for a walk.

It's game over. I swallowed the lump in my throat. Thanked the man and slowly walked away. The best thing to do was to go home.

"Miss?"

I stopped walking. It was the man again. I lift my sad eyes to him.

"Would you care for a ride? I will take you there, I live near their Mansion."

My eyes widened in surprise. My sunken spirit rose. All hopes I've lost returned. I could do this! I cheered myself and followed him.