chapter 1 : new beginnings

Evie's P.O.V

*beep beep beep*
I woke up to the sound of my alarm ringing. Slowly I begin to get ready remembering it's the first day of my new job. I got up pretty early because of my nerves leaving me more than enough time to make myself breakfast. Which is very rare for me as I have no
problem stopping at McDonald's and getting a basic McGriddle.

This is my first job since graduating college and I really want things to go well.
It's a huge opportunity and I really hope I don't mess things up.

- 𝗔𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗷𝗼𝗯 -

As i'm standing in front of my soon to be new work building about to enter I stop to look in the reflective glass to make sure I looked presentable. Just as I go to walk inside the tall building A young lady who looks to be around my age stops next to me and glances at me for at-least 3 seconds before speaking. "You wouldn't happen to be Evie Smith would you?"

"Uhm yes actually, I am." I say wearily unaware of who I was speaking to.

"Oh okay great! You'll be meeting the boss lady soon follow me." She states as I just stood there wearing a poker face not budging. Still confused on who she was.

"Oh, my. I'm sorry I forgot to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Kayla. We spoke over email when you first sent in your application."

"Ohh Hi, Good Morning I had no idea it was you my apologies."

"Don't worry about it. Come on let's go inside."

She escorted me to an empty waiting room as she dissapeared into a long hallway and i'm pretty sure I was hearing arguing coming from inside the closed room at the end of it.

As I waited in the gloomy waiting room for what seemed to be an eternity; I think I eventually dozed off because I woke up to the Kayla tapping on me. "Evie the boss will see you now." She said. "Okay I'll be right in." I said in a low groggy voice as I got my stuff together. Great. Falling asleep already and I'm not even officially on the job yet.

"Talk to you later." I whispered to Kayla as I now had to walk down the dreadful long hallway. Until I reached the end. Seeing a door right in front me. Hesitantly I left 3 solid knocks before taking a few steps back from the door.
"Come in." A raspy voice was all that could be heard. As I stepped inside the office my heart dropped and felt like it was touching my toes.