06

"I'm exhausted

"I'm exhausted." The princess grumbled, laying flat on her stomach. The tune of the rain creates serenity, easing her mind. It was raining cats and dogs after the ball to express out Seri's inner conflict. Even so, Seri was strong, staying resilient in the face of adversity.

She wouldn't let her emotions get the best of her, the greatest way to face the people who have high expectations of her would-be bottling all her emotions up- or so she thought, it wouldn't be long before she finally breaks, all her feelings gushing out like a violent sea. Before she knows it, she'd lose her mind, she'd lose her control over everything. Ending her life and those around her's.

"Your highness, you've created quite a scene during today's ball, haven't you?" The lady's maid spoke up, she's known Seri ever since she was born, at that time she'd come to the castle with her mother who was the lady's maid at that time. She was ten at that time but had learnt how to properly serve the princess.

"What about it." The princess sighed, knowing the consequences of creating a scene in the midst of an important event, "Also, didn't I tell you to call me Seri? All the 'your highness' is getting annoying." The princess scoffed whilst approaching the window, with the dark atmosphere out, the glass panes reflected the light of the candlesticks in the room.

 The room was dimly lit, the rain, the barely lit candles, the roses that were on the brink of death huddling inside a vase, the whole set up unavoidably reminded her of the sorrowful memories she so desperately wanted to keep locked in the back of her mind.

"Seri, i- well it's just that the Queen would like to speak to you about the incident-"

"Tell her I'm not interested."

"The Queen demanded to see you."

"Didn't you hear me? I said I'm not interested." Seri blew out the candles on her bedside table as she tucked herself in with the help of the lady's maid. Seri gripped onto the covers ever so tightly, she had a feeling swallowing her up that if she were to let go, she'd fall into an abyss she could never escape. She was filled with doubts and worries she had to endure on her own. "goodnight, Seri." The Lady's maid whispered before closing the door before her.

The truth was that The Lady's maid, Aishela, had always been like a mother figure to Seri. She loved Seri deep down, all she wanted was for Seri to feel at least a bit of comfort around her, out of everyone in the castle, she was the one who knew Seri the best.

 She was with Seri in her ups and downs, she had seen Seri grow up, she had seen Seri filled with passion, she had seen Seri drained of all emotions, she had seen Seri ball her eyes out and promised to never show anyone her weak side.

Aishela was the only one who had seen Seri so low, she was on the doorstep of death. Aishela never abandoned Seri nor felt the need to shove her to the side, she was always open to Seri. She loved Seri just like how Seri loved her, she knew how alone Seri was- Seri never had friends, at first she loved the idea of having friends yet no one wanted to be friends with her claiming that Seri is too serious and too much of a perfectionist.

Seri had picked up the interest of playing the harp at a young age, she'd join harp clubs and end up being all alone as many didn't want to play by her side. After all, she struggled immensely with public school therefore she was to be homeschooled henceforth.

Aishela knew Seri's struggles, she tends to show her raw emotions to no one but herself. Seri was the type to handle everything by herself as she had been trained to bottle up her emotions, everytime she'd wail as a kid, her parents would call her weak and give her a beating. Seri never showed any emotions of fear and sorrows to anyone knowing they'd just think she's weak.

No one came close to seeing Seri's weak side other than Aishela. Aishela was the closest one to seeing Seri's weak side, it was one night where it all happened. After receiving a beating from the Queen, Seri was all bruised up. Aishela happened to be warming up the bath for her when she heard helpless whimpers coming from the bedroom in which Seri claimed.

She approached Seri with the utmost caution, seeing as it was the first time seeing Seri in a state like that. Seri's eyes were filled with pearl liked tears, so elegant even when she was sobbing. Her face flushed, struggling to wipe her tears away in time. Aishela embraced Seri, before she knew it Seri crumbled into her arms.

Seri had craved touch for so long, she would never let anyone come close to her. She had always been afraid of physical touch yet only she knew she wanted it so bad; she didn't want anyone to be hurt by her or hurt her. She was in desperate need of comfort, she was so close to breaking down, she was so close to shattering her own heart with her own sorrowful emotions.

"Thank you, Aishela."