ch.12

chapter twelve  - burnt skin

0:35 ━❍──────── -3:18
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

unedited

It was the following week after the first initial round of the competition, and Fever Dream were huddled around a single laptop— all piled onto the yellow couch.

The results of who gets to move onto the next and who doesn't would be released at exactly three pm. Donghyuck glanced up to the basement's clock, reading the time, 2:59 pm.

"How long is a minute? Because it's taking so long—"

"Sh! The website is loading!" Aeri yelled in excitement— her feet doing small consecutive jumps out of habit. She slapped the tanned's shoulder, her nerves getting the best of her, reeling a low groan of pain from him.

"Ow, Ae, easy. You don't have to hit me to see the results," He grumbled in reply, his lips jutted out in a sulky pout.

"Can you guys shut up for a second?" Jeno hissed, his fingers typing in the name of their band— searching for their specific results.

Defeatedly, Donghyuck sighed and stuck out his tongue teasingly to his best friend before returning his attention back to the computer screen.

Just as Jeno pressed enter, the screen loaded and finally presented the much awaited outcomes of their performance.

Jisung took it upon himself to read the letter, his eyes quickly scanning the website back and forth. "Fever Dream a local alternative band of college students are highly anticipated for their next performance in the upcoming round! We made it!"

Collectively the group of said college students erupted in fits of cheers and shouts— happily expressing their joy through their loud vocals.

"Hyuck we're going to the next round!" Aeri screamed, jumping onto her friends— immediately tossing her arms around his neck— drawing him impossibly closer to her. A sense of pride had washed over the group as they celebrated.

Aeri released the male and turned, giving the nearest person a high five, and immediately as their palms touched— the pair froze. Her and Jisung retracted their hands as if the other's skin burned them, their hearts picked up their pace— panicking internally.

Luckily, a voice had interrupted their reverie and pulled them back to their surroundings.

"Wait guys!" Mark called over the boisterous noise, beckoning the group to the computer once again.

"What's wrong?" Chenle questioned, jumping back onto the yellow couch, his upper body leaning towards the reopened laptop.

"You guys have a mission," Mark began to read the email, "All artists may participate in this mini mission. You must film a video of one of your original songs and upload it to the The Next Hit's website. The artist with the most video upvotes by fans will be granted a pass that allows you to avoid elimination when determined to be at the bottom three, at any point in the competition. Get to singing! Your video must be uploaded in a week,"

"We have to do this," Jaemin muttered, shutting the computer— promptly eliminating the bright light from the digital screen.

"What original though—"

"We should do Aeri's song!" Donghyuck interrupted Jeno quickly, grasping the girl's wrist in his palm and raising it in the air.

"Aeri doesn't sing," Jisung deadpanned, crossing his arms over his chest— not once remembering a time she had sang lead.

"Oh, but she does—" The male countered.

Aeri struggled against her friend's hold— wiggling her arm free, finally retracting her hand to her chest. "Hyuck, Park is right. I don't sing,"

"Come on, Aeri, we know you do. Plus, the other artists and audience wouldn't be expecting this and we could seriously win with this surprise," Jaemin reasoned, throwing a hefty arm around her neck— dragging the woman down into a playful chokehold.

"And your songs have great concepts to them. We're given a budget by the show, might as well make use of it," Mark added along, ruffling her hair, as she tried her best to get out of their teasing. Jisung couldn't help but admit that it was the smartest option to allow her to sing lead for once, but he wasn't sure if it was it would pull the way they would want it to.

"Let's vote on it," Donghyuck raised his hand again, a devious smirk playing on his lips. "Those is favor of singing a Aeri Original for the mini mission, raise your hand,"

All the boys had raised their hands, some more enthusiastic than others, but they had finally agreed on something, though Aeri didn't move a muscle after breaking free of Jaemin's hold.

"We won, Ae,"

"I can see that, hyuck," She grumbled, already given up that they wouldn't listen to her. But she knew this was the best choice.

Begrudgingly, she walked over to her bag and rummaged through her items, then pulling out a black leather notebook— swiftly tossing it to one of the men.

Jaemin caught it mid-air, and began to flip through the numerous pages until he saw one that looked extremely promising.

"Let's do "My Boy". "

Aeri froze, remembering that it was a piece she had written after her and Jisung's break up, and not to mention never heard by the male nor the entire group.

"Can you show us the beat on the drums," Jeno asked, passing his drum sticks to the female.

Reluctantly, she took them from his hands and walked closer to the large percussion set. She sat down on the chair, and fixed her hand positioning to the starting areas.

Briefly she hummed a bit of the song under her breath before beginning. [Refer to video above]

"I got the perfect concept!" Jaemin clapped excitedly, imagining the setting of their video.

"What?"

"Boys, get out your ties and suits, we're hosting a little 20's speakeasy,"

. . .

thank you for supporting this book, and also if you don't know the aesthetic of this mission, it's almost like a mature club scene, with flappers, and other hollywood 1920 party scene vibes.