thirty one

~*~*~

~*~*~

"see you later, lily."

~*~*~

james watched with envy as regulus and summer sat down opposite each other in a booth in the three broomsticks. he looked ahead at his date, which was peter and mary, he was third wheeling with them and he couldn't be more bored. james couldn't believe that he'd actually crashed his best friend's date because he had no other option.

"how come you don't have a date, james?" asked mary, her tone was sort of mocking, as though she was ridiculing him.

the girls weren't as nice to james like they used to be, they weren't mean or nasty to him but he didn't feel like he could talk to them like normal after he dumped lily. he had mary, marlene and dorcas on his quidditch team and he felt strange around them. if he gave them instructions, he saw an eye roll or heard a huff from one of them. it didn't really annoy him during normal school hours because he wasn't particularly close with any of them and it wouldn't keep him up at night if he never seen them again, but when it came to quidditch, it pissed him off.

"don't want one," responded james, it was partially true, but he'd love regulus to be over here, and even summer. he knew that they had ended things, finally, as long as regulus was here, he wouldn't mind. but, he was rather jealous that he wasn't with regulus right now.

"how come you broke up with lily so suddenly?" asked mary bluntly, "i don't meant to be intrusive or anything, it was just really sudden."

james looked at peter who appeared to be very uncomfortable and sort of angry that this was his date and it had been turned into mary asking james a bunch of lily evans based questions. james wanted peter to have a good first date with a girl he'd liked for a while now.

"this is your date and the last thing i want to do it ruin it," said james as he slid out of the side of the booth he and mary were sitting on, "see you two later on."

it was valentine's day and james had stupidly went on peter's date with him. peter was kind enough to just invite james along and he didn't think anything of it, until mary waved them over in the love and hearts decorated pub and that's when james realised. mary didn't look at all impressed when james sat next to her in the booth and looked at peter as if he was an idiot. both boys were to blame for that unintentional blunder. james didn't really know what to do with himself, he just went back up to the castle, not seeing any other option.

if james potter hated one thing, it was being bored and having nothing to do. perhaps it was his adhd, but his brain always needed something to focus on, something to entertain himself with, but he didn't have that right now. he'd practiced his muggle card tricks, which were extremely difficult, he'd began to read one of regulus' books he'd left there, but got bored after only a couple of pages. he saw no other option but to get changed, grab his broom and go out to the quidditch pitch.