Chapter 2: Choosing Ceremony

Having got my test results we all grouped in the main room so the administrators could talk to us about not telling people our results so they can't persuade us and reminded us of the faction before blood so we would choose where we belong and not our family. We all are now supposed to go home and spend the last day with our friends and family knowing some of us may never see them again.

Instead of getting on the truck with the rest of amity I decided to walk home and take my time; it's not like anyone will miss me.

By the time i make it back to amity it's just about dinner time. Making my way to the dome for the last dinner as we call it. I see all the families trying to be the happy cheerful amity's that they are but you can still see the worry in their face. This happens every year kids have to choose which faction they are going to and families get sad knowing that they might not see them again.faction before blood is what we are always Taught and it is what we have to stand by to help the Society run. This saying is hard for some who would put their family first, but for me it's easy to just leave for the faction I want; it's not like I fit into amity or will be missed.

As I got my food I was about to sit at my normal secluded corner but my parents waved me over; sighing, I walked over knowing this is going to be my last day with them. I should at least eat the last dinner with them.

To me these nights in the past have always been awkward, but now that i'm sitting here with my parents it's really awkward. Silently eating my food listening to the rest of the family reminisce on memories i started to think about how my life in amity has been.

I was pulled out of my daze from someone clearing their throat looking up, I see my parents looking at me.

"Amethyst i know we as parents should have done better to understand you and should have treated you the same instead of ignoring you like it wasn't our problem." mom huffs out with tears in her eyes and a shaky voice.

"We know you are going to a different faction and we all know where. But since you were a kid we alway knew you were different and no matter what I hope you are happy in your new faction and start the life you were meant to live." my dad continues for my mom

"We just want you to always remember we love you no matter what." mom lets out with a cry.

"And we have always loved you even when we should have shown it more. We are so proud of the person you have come to be." he stutters out with his own cry.

Everyone around is now looking at us with sad eyes about to cry themselves.

"I love you guys too and thank you for understanding who I am. Sorry I was a bit of a difficult child." I tell them leaning in for a hug.

After that was all said and done the dome was way too awkward to stay around so I bid them goodbye and went out to take a walk around amity just to see it one last time. I started thinking about my life here, how my parents really just talked with me. That had never happened; they just pretend like I wasn't there since I always got in trouble and became a disappointment. Then I think about tomorrow and the choosing ceremony and how excited I was for it.

As my walk came to an end I found myself in front of Johannes office.

"Hello come in darling."

"Hello Johanna, I just wanted to thank you."

"There is no need to thank me. It is always a pleasure helping kids until they find where they belong now you take care wherever you may go." see tells me with a final hug.

Damn that the most hugs i've given in a long time.waving by I head down and pat the horse on the head on my way out. Then I realized I will miss the animals just a little.

At the crack of dawn I rolled out of bed to the rooster's call exited to get ready for the ceremony. Putting on my long red maxi dress that looks fit for an amity. Looking at my mirror you can see the dress compliments my tanned skin and my long legs fit the dress very well. Then I move my eyes up to my long blond hair and I start to braid it into a french braid. Happy with the way I look; I make my way down to the trucks with my parents to head to the city. In the city you can see all the colors of each faction blending together all heading in the same direction to the big ceremony building. Once you get inside you can see all the factions sitting neatly in their specific section making big waves of color. Walking by all the factions I make my way to the far end where you can see the sea of red and yellow of amity. I take my seat next to my parents and wait for the ceremony to begin.

The Leader of Abnegation stands and the hall goes silent.

"Good morning! For those who don't know. I'm Marcus Eaton and we are here to celebrate you all who have come to start life in a new faction or even your same faction. It's a big step into adulthood and into our society. The five bowls here represents the five factions; glass for Candor the truthful dirt for Amity the peaceful water for Erudite the intelligent stones for Abnegation the selfless and Burning coal for Dauntless the brave." he then goes on sappy speech about finding happiness in our society and ended it with everyone saying our motto...

"Faction before blood."

Then the choosing ceremony really began. He started by calling the name of an Erudite boy who made his way down to choose, but no surprise he stayed with erudite. Most people don't leave their birth faction. Marcuse called more people's names for 20 minutes. Only a few kids here or there chose a different faction, but then I hear...

"Amethyst king."

Finally my name has been called . walking down to the front i stand in front of the five bowls already knowing where i want to go, but still took in all the options in front of me. Marcuse Eaton hands me a small blade. I swiftly take the knife and slice it down the palm of my hand watching the blood slowly come to the surface i hurry over to the bowls and reach my hand out over the one i want and watch as the drops of blood slowly slips down my hand dripping into the bowl leaving only the sound of sizzling of the dauntless coals.