Temporarily out of order

Seonghwa yawned as he strained his eyes to read the last note in the measure. Was it an A or a C? He blinked a few times and was still unsure. He figured it was a sign that he needed to get to sleep and moved to put his guitar away, only to realize there was light shining into his windows. Was it already morning?

Ever since he'd gotten started on this song he had lost track of time entirely. Every moment was spent on the song. Currently he was trying to get each part down so he had been going over the other parts he'd written all night so he could help his members. Although he'd anticipated doing it for a few hours and heading to bed. Evidently he wasn't going to be sleeping today. He tried to pack away his guitar quietly but as he shut the case the latch clicked loudly and he heard Wooyoung shifting in his bed.

"Were you up all night?" a groggy Wooyoung asked, rubbing his half open eyes. His hair stood in all directions so it took everything in Seonghwa not to laugh.

"No I just got up early."

"Bullshit," laughed Wooyoung turning back to his pillow. He was out in a minute.

Seonghwa smiled and decided to change his shirt before walking around the hotel. Not that anyone would remember what he'd been wearing yesterday. He just figured a change of clothes would help him wake up a bit.

He quietly walked over to the mirror and fixed his hair and tried to conceal a stress pimple that had appeared on his forehead. He mostly succeeded and went to put on some shoes. Feeling satisfied with his appearance he made his way down to the lobby to grab a cup of coffee. Or two.

He got to the elevators only to find that one was blocked off with caution tape and a sign that said "TEMPORARILY OUT OF ORDER." Having a big fear of heights, he worried that if one elevator was broken that the other would soon go, so he decided to take the stairs.

As he neared the bottom he heard a commotion coming from the lobby and wondered what could possibly be going on. By the time he reached the second floor he could distinctly hear sirens and a few police radios and he began to walk faster. What happened? Was something going on?

He came out of the stairwell just in time to see an ambulance take off as a group of people gathered to watch it. A few police officers were talking to the hotel staff at the front desk and everywhere else people stood in clusters whispering to each other.

Confused and concerned, Seonghwa decided to approach a group to figure out what was going on. He saw a young woman and her children sitting near the entrance and he walked over to them.

"Excuse me, do you know what happened? What is all of the commotion for? Was someone hurt?"

"There was a man! He was riding the elevator when the cable snapped! I don't know what shape he was in but they had to rush him to the hospital!"

"Oh my god! Was he still alive?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Thank you," said Seonghwa, walking closer to where the ambulance had been. As he neared the doors he was startled by a young man running towards him frantically.

"Seonghwa??"

"Who are—"

"It's Hongjoong! Hongjoong's the one who fell! They just took him to the hospital and they wouldn't let us come with but we need to make sure he's okay! Can you please take us? We don't have a car!"

Seonghwa couldn't process anything. His eyes couldn't focus. His ears could only hear the heavy beating of his heart. The man in front of him was yelling frantically, trying to pull his arm but Seonghwa couldn't register what he was saying anymore.

The man who fell, in the elevator—was Hongjoong??

"Please, we need to go now! I know you're mad at him but you're the only person who can take us and we need to see him! Please Seonghwa!" pleaded the young man, tears streaming down his face.

Seonghwa snapped back to reality and nodded.

"Okay come with me. My car's parked in the back lot."

The man signaled to two others who were still staring at the spot where the ambulance had been sitting, but quickly ran after as the Seonghwa rushed to his car. They hurriedly piled in and Seonghwa took off.

He had no thoughts at this point but to see Hongjoong. He needed to see if he was okay. He sped all the way to the hospital and parked crooked in a spot near the entrance to the Emergency Room.

He got out immediately, sprinting towards the entrance, without even locking his car. The other three were right behind him. He made his way to the front desk and stood impatiently waiting for a nurse.

"Hi what can I do for you?"

"I need to see my friend. He was just sent here in an ambulance and we need to see him. We need to know if he's okay," Seonghwa demanded, his hands shaking.

"Of course, what's his name?"

"Kim Hongjoong."

"I will check, just give me one minute."

Seonghwa looked up at the ceiling, biting his lip impatiently. After what felt like a century she turned back to him.

"He's currently in surgery but he's okay. He has a few broken bones but nothing serious. You can see him in an hour. He may need some rest so it might be longer."

Seonghwa sighed, leaning back with a hand on his forehead.

"Thank you. Thank you so much," he said and bowed gratefully.

He took the other three to the waiting room and they sat together in silence, waiting for their friend.