five

NYX RUSHES TO ALEKSANDER'S quarters, having heard that he was sending Zoya away due to an incident with the sun summoner. She wasn't sure of the details of what had happened, but it was training and even though using the small sciences during that time was forbidden, it was not a reason to send her away. Perhaps a scolding. But not this.

As she gets closer to the doors, they open up to reveal a deflected Zoya. The sight, makes Nyx even more enraged and sensing her furry, Zoya looks up with wide eyes.

"Nyx, don't. This won't end well." Zoya says softly, making Nyx shake her head, not willing to back down.

"No. This is all because of that stupid girl." Nyx snarls, rushing into the war room and slamming the door shut. Aleksander looks up, clearly not pleased.

"What has the door done to you, darling?" Aleksander asks, making her let out a dry laugh as she shakes her head in disbelief.

"It's either the door or you. Take your pick." She snarls, making him raise his eyebrows.

"You want to slam me against something?" He asks teasingly and on any other day she would have gone along, but now was not the time.

"I want to stop your heart, Aleksander. Don't try me right now. You can't send Zoya away!" She exclaims and his smile drops, his eyes darken. The fact that he dares to get angry, makes her even more angry.

"She tried to harm Alina." He snarls, making her scoff and shake her head in disbelief.

"Oh, cry me a river. Your little sun summoner is so weak she can't even take a hit." Nyx snaps, making him stand up and walk up to her. She doesn't flinch back or move away, firmly standing her ground. She was not going to let him scare her into backing away.

"She is the future of our armies!" He exclaims, making her chuckle and look at him in disbelief. She wants to hit him, throw his books and papers at him, but she knew even that would not be enough to calm her anger.

"Oh, what a great army you'll have Aleksander. Your sun summoner cries out to you because she can't fight and you stop all wars." She says mockingly, making him clench his jaw as shadows slowly start crawling up the walls. "Zoya is one of your best soldiers!"

"And her abilities are better off where she is going than it is tormenting Alina." He says through clenched teeth, making her throw her hands up in the air. "Would you like me to send you away with her? So that I can remind you of your place. You're my right hand, not my equal."

"Oh." She breaths out, her anger turning into a feeling of betrayal. "Right. I apologise, General. I was out of line."

"Nyx..." He sighs, his eyes softening as he realises his mistake and the shadows immediately vanish. He runs a hand through his dark hair and she takes a step away.

"Don't. Don't try to be nice and regretful. After all, you're right. I'm not your equal. I never was. You made me feel, like our ranks didn't even matter, that it would be you and I against the world. But the minute she arrived, all you've done is push me away, set me aside as if I was now an overused object." She says, tears burning her eyes and he takes a step towards her, trying to reach her, but she backs away.

"Please. Just trust me." He says softly, making her shake her head.

"Trust. That's all you keep saying. For how much longer do you think that'll hold! How much longer do you think I'll hold on to you." She cries out and he looks down in shame. Nyx looks at him expectantly, wanting him to fight for her to tell her all the reasons to trust him, but she is only met with silence. "Right. Well, that'll be all General."

"Don't go. Don't leave me. Not now." He pleads and she looks at with soft eyes.

"Go to your sun summoner then. I'm not someone you can ask to come and go. I'm your friend... or at least I thought I was." She sighs, before turning around and walking out of the room. As she closes the door, she leans against it and lets the tears roll down her cheek.

From the other side of the door, she can hear something being thrown at the wall and she takes that as her queue to leave. She doesn't bother looking back as she makes her way to her room, slamming the door shut behind her. She slides down the door on to the floor and lets out all her tears, frustration and pain.