Chapter Twenty-Seven

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: April 17th, 1950
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-four

Eleanor was ready to get home and kiss the life out of her precious boy. 

Clark was now, still a little scraggly, the happiest dog in the world. Eleanor doted on him and gave him plenty of treats, even Dale liked him, which was wonderful to see.

Dale, however, was excited to get home and dote on Eleanor. School kept him from doing so as much as he'd like, so he was grateful that she was now living with him. He could hold her all day and never have to let go.

"What the," Dale murmured at the sight of a car parked outside of their house. Who in their right mind would be at his house? "God, be with them." He said seriously and parked the car in the driveway.

Eleanor looked out the window at the car and tried to see if she recognized the person. "You don't have any friends that you didn't mention?" She asked nervously.

Dale shook his head and kissed her forehead. "Don't worry, princess. I'm going to get you in the house and I will take care of this." He told her firmly and grabbed his gun from underneath his seat.

Eleanor's eyes widened at the sight of the gun. She had no clue that he just carried a gun in the car. However, she felt safe.

Dale got out of the car and walked around to Eleanor's door. He opened it and took her in his arms.

"My eyes are tricking me! My son and a ugly negra!" Grover yelled as he got out of the car, making Eleanor's heart drop.

Dale could've fired the gun right that minute. He wanted to for sure, but keeping Eleanor safe was his priority.

He handed Eleanor the key to the house. "Get in there and lock the door." He gave her a light push towards the door and stalked towards his father.

"What are you doing at my house? You got some nerve coming here and calling my wife out of her name. You vermin," Dale seethed and gripped his father's collar.

Grover tried to push Dale away from him, but his grip was too tight.

"Stephen! Let go of your father! We came here to talk some sense to you. We didn't think you'd be living with a ugly n*gger woman," Annie-Mae said calmly as she got out of the car.

Dale glared at his mother and shoved his father onto the hood of their car. "You get your stupid trashy bodies off my property or I'll kill ya. There ain't no way that I'd let you come here to disturb my wife's peace. Get lost," He pointed the gun at both people and dared them to defy him.

Grover's eye twitched and he spat at Dale. "That n*gger's your wife? They ain't good for nothing more than warming a bed, d-" Dale's fist connected with his face, and blood poured out of his mouth.

He would've shot. He wanted to shoot him. "You better thank the Lord. I won't say this again, get off my property." Dale said harshly. "If you want him alive, get lost." He said to his mother and took a step back.

He held the gun up and waited for them to leave.

Annie-Mae looked at Dale and pulled Grover off the hood of the car. "Come on," She said nervously and Grover just huffed.

Dale watched them get in the car and drive away. He would kill for Eleanor. Plain and simple.

He walked to the front door and knocked. "It's me, princess." He said and the door opened.

Eleanor wrapped her arms around his waist and just held him. She didn't want to let him go.

Dale sighed and walked to the living room with his love attached to him. He hated that his parents came and ruined her peace.