Chapter 1

"You know I don't care about that." I scoffed, scooping a spoonful of cream of wheat into my mouth.

"Yeah, but if you had to choose. Mudblood or Pureblood?" Elijah insisted. "Come on, it's not astrology."

"Well, I guess Father would rather I marry a Pureblood." I shrugged, "But I couldn't care less."

I reached past Elijah to grab a goblet of pumpkin juice.

"What about-" I was cut off by Hera slamming books down on the table, the thud echoing through the hall.

"Yes?" I asked, batting my eyes.

"Did you hear about Sirius Black?" She sat down on my other side, snatching the drink from me. "Don't drink that. I saw Seamus Finnegan doing something to it last night."

"Anyway," She moved on, "He was seen in Hogsmeade last night."

She waited for us to react.

"I thought he was dead." Elijah raised an eyebrow.

"No, that's Pettigrew." I nudged him in the side, "Black is the one who killed Potter's parents."

"Don't say it like that!" Hera snapped, looking around to see if anyone was listening. No one was, of course.

"How else am I supposed to say it?" I said, more quietly this time. "That's what happened."

"But it sounds insensitive when you say it like that." She argued.

"Mhm." I rolled my eyes, scooping another spoonful of my food in my mouth.

"What class do you have first?" Elijah asked, changing the subject.

"Herbology with Hufflepuffs." Hera smiled, we all knew that was her favourite.

I groaned, swallowing my food.

"Divination with Gryffindors." I sighed, putting my head on my fist.

"We're not that bad." Elijah chuckled.

"You aren't but those three are." I nodded my head over to the table across from us, where Potter, Weasley, and Granger were whispering amongst themselves.

"What's wrong with Harry?" Hera leaned forward, staring at him.

"What isn't?" I sighed. I got up and started gathering my things. "Remember first year?"

Hera nodded.

"Remember second?"

She nodded again.

"I rest my case."

I started to walk away.

"Lunch?" Elijah called.

"Quidditch!" I called back.

I wandered the hall, slowly making my way to Divination. I watched the paintings as they went along their daily business.