Chapter 14

Everything was black. I could hear voices but I couldn't move. Why is it so dark? Where am I?
"Austin," I heard Calli say. "You need to go home, it's been three days. I'll stay with her for a little while, just go get some rest."
"Where is Kane?" I heard Austin ask.
"In the waiting room with Morgan. She's trying to convince him to go home too."
"He won't go home alone. She'll have to let him stay with her."
"Austin-"
"No Cal. I'm not going home. I'm not leaving her side."
She sighed. "Okay, I'm gonna go call Alex. She asked me to keep her updated."
He didn't say anything.
I felt his hand grip mine.
"Please come back to me baby. I need you to come back to me. I love you Anna, come back to me. We can fix this. I'll explain everything and I will do everything I can to make it up to you. Just please wake up."
I felt something warm against my arm. I didn't know it was his head until I felt tear drip onto my arm.
I wanted to say his name but nothing came out. I kept screaming his name but not a sound was heard.
His head lifted from my arm and a few moments later I heard a door click.
I began to pray. I prayed to wake up. To see his face again. To see all of their faces.
My fingers began to move.
I prayed to finally be able to tell Austin and Kane how I felt.
My toes began to move.
I prayed that I would live. For them. For my mom. I wanted to live.
My eyes opened.
I was awake. I was alive.
"Thank you," I whispered.
The door opened again and light flooded my room. I held my hand up to block the light.
I heard glass break.
"Anna?" Austin whispered.
"Hey," I croaked out.
"Oh my God." He rushed to me and pulled me into his arms. He kissed me so hard I began to get lightheaded. I pulled away.
"I missed you so much. I'm so so sorry Anna. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have let you drive away like that. When I saw your car flip, I-"
"You saw it?" I whispered.
"I witnessed the whole thing and it was the most horrifying thing I've ever seen."
I began to cry.
"Shh, baby, don't cry. What's wrong? Are you hurting?"
"I'm sorry," I said. "I overreacted."
"No you didn't. You had every right to be mad. I disrespected you. But I need to explain."
"Later, when you take me home, we can talk. Right now I want to see my friends."
He nodded and set me down. He walked out of the door and when he returned, they all had tears in their eyes.
We all sat and cried and laughed until we all were exhausted. The doctor wanted to keep me a few more days to make sure I was okay and make sure my leg was getting better. A piece of metal bar had gone completely through my leg in the accident. Austin stayed the whole time. Kane and Calli stayed with Morgan.
On the day they released me, Austin pushed my wheelchair all the way out to the car.
We pulled up to Austin's house. Kane was inside on the couch, waiting for us when we arrived.
"Hey," he breathed.
"Hey," I smiled.
"We have to talk," Austin said behind me.
Kane looked confused. "She met Grace."
"Shit, that slut?"
Austin picked me up out of my wheelchair and set me on the couch. Kane sat next to me and grabbed my hand. Austin sat on the table in front of me.
"You were right," he began. "We shared her before."
I nodded, encouraging him to continue.
"It was great at first," I felt Kane nod. "But, she wanted more. She wanted to be with Kane."
"I didn't want a relationship. I just wanted uncommitted sex. I sound like a jerk, I know, but that's all I wanted."
"Anyways, when she didn't get what she wanted, she tried to play us against each other. And it worked, for a while."
He looked down at his hands and Kane continued.
"After her plan failed, she started threatening us with lawsuits. Sexual harassment, rape, those sorts of things. Although we had enough proof to dismiss it in court, we didn't want that type of publicity for our company. I mean come on, we aren't unknown."
I nodded. "So what happened?" I asked.
"We paid her off."
I gulped. "How much?"
"Does that matter?" Kane snapped.
I shook my head. "No, just curious."
"A lot," Austin's soft voice spoke.
I looked up at him and gave him a soft appreciative smile. He was being easy on me. Kane, for some reason, was not.
"Kane," I asked, turning toward him. "Are you okay?"
"No," he grumbled.
"Why?"
"You should've been paying attention Anna. You shouldn't have been watching him and Grace anyways. You should've been watching the road."
"You're blaming the wreck on me?" I asked, stunned.
"You weren't paying attention!"
"My light was green!" I yelled. "The car that was supposed to be paying attention was the one that T-boned me and almost took my life!" I began to get light headed.
"You should've-"
"Kane that's enough!" Austin boomed.
He picked me up and carried me up the stairs.
"It's okay," I said, wiggling out of his grasp. "I can make it to my room, just point me in the right direction."
"You're sleeping with me," Austin said.
"But Kane-"
"Kane is an asshole and I don't want him around you right now. The only way I can assure that is if you're with me."
I nodded, too exhausted to argue. I hobbled toward his room when he scooped me up again and I squealed.
I fell into deep sleep as soon as I hit the mattress.