Chapter 15

I woke to an empty bed.
"Austin?" I called.
I smelled something burning and immediately jumped up, not thinking about my crippled leg.
I groaned and sunk back down into the bed.
I got up slower and hobbled out of the bed room. I stared at the giant set of stairs, intimidated.
I held a death grip on the rail and made my way down.
When I stepped off the last step, the fire alarm started blaring.
I hobbled faster into the kitchen.
There stood Austin, with a fire extinguisher, spraying the oven.
"Austin!" I yelled.
He jumped in surprise. "Anna, what the hell are you doing out of bed?"
"Well, considering the house is about to burn down, it woke me."
"I'm sorry," he dropped his head. "I was going to make breakfast for you."
I laughed and hobbled to him. I leaned up and kissed him on the lips. "It's okay and thank you, but I think you should let me cook."
He nodded and we began cleaning up. After the oven was cleaned, I began making pancakes and bacon. Austin sat at the bar, watching my movements.
"When's the cafe going to be done?" He asked.
"Soon," I smiled. "I don't think you realize how much I appreciate you investing and helping."
"It's a dream, Anna. You're passionate about it. Why would I say no to that?"
I smiled at him.
"So where is Kane?" I asked.
"He left this morning, I don't know where he went."
I shrugged and placed Austin's breakfast in front of him.
"This looks delicious." I smiled and began to make my own plate. Just then, Kane walked into the kitchen.
"When did you get back?" Austin asked.
"Just now."
"You hungry?" I asked.
"No thanks. I just came to grab some stuff before heading out."
"Heading our where?" Austin asked.
"I've got errands to run."
"Okay," Austin drawled.
I stepped in front of Kane.
"Are you okay? I mean, did I do something?" I asked.
He stared blankly at me then flicked his eyes toward Austin. "Someone has to make sure a lawsuit doesn't get filed around here."
I jerked, stunned. "Excuse me?"
"Kane, enough." Austin appeared at my side.
I pushed away from them both. "Really? That's what you two are still worried about? That I'm going to file a lawsuit?" I began to shake with anger. "Fuck you. Both of you." I turned away and began to hobble toward the stairs.
"Anna, I didn't-" Kane began.
"No, leave me the hell alone Kane. I see where I stand. I see what I am to the both of you. I'm just a slut that'll give it to you so that I can get to your money. Right? That's what you're saying, isn't it?"
Austin walked toward me. I held up my hand and shook my head, signaling him to stop. "Stay away from me." Tears burned hot paths down my cheeks. "Just let me leave."
"Anna, I can't let you do that baby." Austin's fearful expression tore at my heart, but I was not welcome anymore. I couldn't have them both. I didn't want them both. I loved them but my heart truly belonged to Austin. He was kind and caring but stern when it came to my safety. The more I'm around Kane, the more I find myself hating his "I don't give a shit" attitude. I can't handle it. But, I can't have one without hurting the other. What kind of person would I be if I broke Kane's heart just so that I could be with Austin?
I turned again, heading toward the stairs. I heard the front door slam.
"Anna," Austin whispered behind me. "Please."
"I have to go Austin. I can't do this anymore. I can't do the back in forth between wanting me and not wanting me. I just can't."
He gently grabbed my hand and lightly pulled me back to him. His front was completely pressed against my back. I felt my strength falter and my body gave way. I crumpled to the ground and cried.
"Shh," He cooed. "He'll calm down."
"Austin I'm serious. I'm leaving."
"Please don't, Anna. I need you."
"You'll be fine," I began to stand up. "I'm going to pack my bags."
"No, baby. Please." He stayed on his knees in front of me. He held my hand tightly, begging me to stay.
I pulled my hand from his grasp and he lowered his head. He stared at the floor, still on his knees as I walked up the stairs and began to gather my things.
I was almost done when the door creaked open.
"Annabelle," Kane called.
"I don't want to see you Kane."
"Don't leave Anna," he begged.
"You know what, I'm sick of you treating me the way you do. You're hot one minute and cold the next. I will not deal with it. You're moody all the time, worse than a woman, might I add! I can't do this anymore."
"Fine," he yelled. "Leave."
I shook my head and laughed sarcastically. "That's exactly what I'm talking about Kane."
"Don't even think about contacting me again," he said. I walked to the door.
"Wasn't planning on it."
"Or Austin."
I froze at the door. "Excuse me?"
"Don't contact Austin. Don't think I don't know what was going on. You were falling for Austin and just wanted him. You're real easy to see through Anna. So, leave him alone. He doesn't need the distraction."
I felt my blood boil. I picked up the vase beside me and threw it. "Fuck you!" I screamed. The vase shattered on the wall behind him.
I hobbled out and there he was, standing beside the door. His eyes were pleading with me to stay. I placed my hand on his cheek.
"I'm sorry, I just can't do this anymore."
He nodded and looked away. "It's okay, I understand. Just go. I'll deal with this."
I made my way downstairs and out of the front door. As soon as I was outside of the gate, I fell onto my knees. Pain shot through my leg but nothing compared to the pain I felt inside. The tears stung my eyes and I finally let them free.