25| Connection

Nora

I kept the glass of water on the side table, my eyebrows scrunched, jaw dropped. I blinked to make sure I wasn't dreaming, clutching the arm rest tightly. I increased the volume, opened my mouth to say something but I couldn't. Nicolas walked in the drawing room, a sleeveless tee stretched across his chest. His muscles were bulging as he grabbed an apple from the fridge and dropped down beside me.

"They're arresting Nathan." I said in disbelief.

He raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

"B-but I don't understand. How? He buried everything."

Nicolas bit into his apple, scrolling down his phone, looking the least bit interested. But I couldn't take my eyes off the TV. "They're releasing Kyle. They're stripping off all his charges."

"Good for him. Good for the country. One less criminal to worry about." He shrugged nonchalantly.

I narrowed my eyes at his casual behaviour. He didn't look like he cared. It almost seemed as if he wanted this to happen, as if he knew. I gasped when realisation struck. "Did you do this?"

He looked at me. "Do what?"

"Don't play dumb with me. Are you involved in his arrest?" 

He tried keeping a straight face but his lips twitched. "No."

"No lies?" 

His lips turned up. "Maybe."

I gasped again, getting up in astonishment. I'd known Nicolas was capable of it, but I'd never thought he'd actually do it. "What did you do?"

His mouth morphed into a small smirk. "I released his accounts to the media."

I was drowning in questions but I couldn't find words to say them out loud. "How the heck did you get his accounts? Did you steal them? Nico-"

"I stole nothing, Nora. I don't do illegal." He said forcefully. "Sit down."

I sat in a daze, looking at him with wide eyes. "How-"

"I offered a job to the head of his finance department." Amusement danced in his eyes. He was enjoying this. He liked my shock, or maybe he just liked Nathan's arrest.

"And he gave you his firm's accounts? Who does that?" 

"Surprising what money can do, right?" Nicolas tilted his head. "A couple of thousands of bonus and he'd do anything I asked."

"Will this get you in trouble?" I asked quietly.

His eyes softened. "I've taken care of it, Nora. You don't need to worry."

I felt another wave of emotions, violent enough for me to fling my arms around him and hoist myself onto his lap, holding tight. He pulled me closer, resting his chin on my shoulder. He pushed my hair back, twirling a strand onto his finger. His arms caged my hips as I inhaled in his neck, trying to calm my beating heart. "Why did you do that?" 

"He used you."

"But that was before I met you."

He pulled my head, making me look in his eyes. "No one takes advantage of you till I'm breathing. I'll ruin all of them. I told you I'd take care of you, Nora. When you can't handle your problems, I will." 

"I love you." I whispered. "Thank you."

He closed his eyes, touching his forehead to mine. "You are my happiness. My whole life. You'll never have to worry about anything when I'm here. I promise."