thirty five

a/n: i changed my username from oliviathegryffindor to prongsadvocate because that's what i am. also, i don't really like this chapter. it's short and just bad <3

 it's short and just bad <3

~*~*~

"i don't even think twenty people like me."

~*~*~

a couple of weeks ago, regulus was invited to remus' birthday party that he was having in the gryffindor common room. he didn't really want a birthday party but the marauders insisted and so remus had told regulus he was more then welcome to come along and join them. he hesitated before accepting, as he'd feel guilty if he didn't. he managed to spend some time with sirius and he actually felt, for the first time in over a year, comfortable around his brother for one night.

what was difficult, was that lily was there too, as she and remus are really good friends and regulus thought that perhaps james and lily had forgave and forgotten because they were on good speaking terms. however, now regulus knew how james felt when he was talking to summer for majority of the night at the previous party as he couldn't talk so openly with him. regulus was confident in james only liking him and not lily, but he still couldn't help the burning feeling in his chest as he watched the two, and james knew it.

regulus sipped his drink, he didn't like it. he passed it to sirius who was the opposite and could handle a drink in him, but it just made regulus feel sick in almost an instant. it was difficult to not sit with james and lean his head on his shoulder and wait for the night to be over so they could be alone. even when the night did end, james was busy babying peter up to his room and regulus got tired of waiting and so he just went back to his own dorm, which james expressed his frustration with the following day.

now it was nearing the end of march, which meant it was nearly james' eighteenth. he was the youngest of the four marauders and so when it was his birthday, it wasn't as exciting as the others' because eighteen didn't seem as much of a milestone as before. sirius had been eighteen since november and the novelty had worn off a bit. as james and sirius were purebloods, a big birthday to them is seventeen, as that's when you can practice magic whenever and wherever. however, remus and peter, being halfbloods, explained to their friends throughout the years that eighteen is the legal drinking age for muggles which made them excited for it. but, now it was march and three out of the four were eighteen, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

when regulus was asked to go to james' birthday bash, again, in the gryffindor common room, he had to think about it for a moment. he did want to go, obviously, but he couldn't really celebrate it the way he wanted to and be with james in the moment. he'd just have to sit off to the side and speak to sirius and avoid the hard topics of discussions that they had to have at some point. regulus said he'd think about it and walked away from the marauders, he did have to think about it.

"are you going to go?" asked summer as she sat on her bed with her pyjamas on and her hair in a ponytail, playing around with lyra who joined summer on her bed. whereas regulus sat at her desk, doing his homework.

"i'm not sure," said regulus, doing his herbology essay, "i'm sure it's just a ploy of potter's to get me to speak to sirius. which i'll do in my own time."

"i don't think it is," hummed summer, regulus looked at her to see the knowing grin on her face. she shrugged innocently and then continued, "i just think he wants to be your friend."

regulus knitted his brows, confused as to why she said friend like that. it didn't sound causal nor as platonic as she was making out. did she know? if so, how? regulus wasn't sure whether to pry her for more about what she was saying or get back to his essay. he went with the latter, turning back around in his seat to do his homework, finding that easier to understand than what summer was trying to get at.

* * *

even if you have never spoken to james potter before, you'd know it was his birthday. the majority of people he passed in the corridors wished him a happy birthday as if he was some celebrity, he may as well have been in this school, everyone loved james potter, fact. regulus had only seen him that morning at breakfast and going out of his way to say a happy birthday would be strange considering they were supposed to not really like each other. he'll say it later when he gets the chance.

"i've heard at least twenty people say happy birthday james! this morning," said summer, looking over her shoulder when another one was yelled as they left the hall, "i don't even think twenty people like me."

"same here," chuckled regulus, "but, james talks to everyone, doesn't he? people like james and james likes people. we're not really like that."

"true," said summer, deciding against teasing him about saying his first name, "are you going to his party tonight? i could come with you, if you want? if he doesn't mind."

"yeah, actually," said regulus, thinking it was a great idea because now, he'd have someone to actually talk to and he doubted james would care, as long as regulus was there.

- - -

a/n

sorry this is really bad and really short like it's not even at 1k words i just had nothing else to write for this.

i don't really know how accurate this is, but i've decided the anthem for this story will be apocalypse by cigarettes after sex because it reminds me of reggie and james when i listen to it. so yeah. that's what i've decided.

again, sorry that this is so short and just not that good.