⟾ 13 | GONE GIRL

ATTENTION!

This chapter is dedicated to the AMAZING veraberkshire_ becuase I love them so much, and they are a SUPER TALENTED editor ( louisaesthetique on instagram ) who made a TWISTED edit!! It's insanely beautiful, and you should definitely check her work out! I'm serious hehe, go do it!! 

_

TRIGGER WARNING! (Mild).

guns, daggers, knives, blood.

_

LOUIS 🗡

Monday, 9:54pm

_

THIS HAM SANDWICH TASTES STRANGE.

I'd been ordering the same thing from Greggs for years now, but for some reason my dinner has a different flavor to it. It doesn't taste good, it doesn't taste filling—it's bitter and horrid, just laying in my stomach like a virus.

I thought it was some expired mustard at first.

But now I realize it must be guilt.

I'd marked her off as a subject of my job; only a mission that needed to be completed. I tried to ignore the fact that she brought out confusion in my mind, when I used to be so sure, and it scared me to the point where I just wanted to stop. I hated being confused. I grew up knowing what I wanted, and suddenly she waltzed in and made me rethink my life.

So I turned her in, pretending the strange bond we'd made was nothing more than a game.

But that's what's so strange about this whole thing. Her, I mean. We shouldn't have exceeded a point where we questioned our own morals, dancing around an unclear line between enemies and whatever the hell we were almost at.

We were opposites, but we were twisted together.

And now I can't seem to untangle myself from her.

"Damn sandwich," I said, tossing it into the bin, "I paid for a meal, not to rethink my life."

I needed to talk to her—I'd been avoiding her cell at the bottom of the SIS, too ashamed to see her face—but I knew I wouldn't be welcome. There wasn't much I could do, either. I couldn't let her out. In a sense, she deserved to be in jail, but it was only my own personal interest that wished she wasn't.

Once again, my job doesn't concern my personal interest.

It concerns the citizens of London, and letting a pyrotechnic, arsonist, criminal run loose was inherently dangerous in an obvious sense.

Grabbing my suit from the coat hanger, I cast a suspicious glance towards William's corner of the office. He said he went out to grab some paperwork, but he still hasn't returned. Must have run into a co-worker and stopped to chat. I wasn't entirely concerned about him.

Slipping on my suit-coat, I ruffled a hand through my hair, making sure I looked at least somewhat decent by the time I reached the containment unit. I'd been carrying around the dagger I found in the trailer park, wondering whether or not I should keep it or throw it away. It was like she could use it for anything anymore. Usually only the watch-guards were down there, but since I was a verified Agent, I had pretty much free ground to observe.