Chapter Five: An Ocean of Fate

Laric moved before Ren could think of anything to do. He removed his tailcoat and threw it over her shoulders, hiding her burned elbow. He took hold of her non-injured arm and started pulling her across the heath. Ren followed him in mute shock.

"No one can see your arm," Laric muttered. "If anyone asks, you got cold and I'm taking you back to the castle. We have to find Trevonna." He glanced at her. "Ren, I know you're in shock – so am I – but you have to walk on your own, and please, try to pretend to be happy. We can't let anyone think something is wrong."

Ren nodded, plastering a fake smile onto her face. They walked past the bonfires and back along the path, Laric checking their pace so they didn't appear to be in a hurry. The merriment was still in full force at the castle, and they edged their way along the side of the floor full of swirling dancers in the great hall, searching for Trevonna. They eventually found her in the entrance hall, talking to a group of fairies over dessert, but she excused herself and hurried over when she spotted Laric and Ren.

The threesome sank into the shadows of a hidden corridor and climbed a narrow spiral staircase Ren had never seen before, emerging near Trevonna's office. Trevonna hustled them inside and shut the door behind them. She lit a lamp, surveying Ren and Laric over her spectacles. "What ever is the matter?"

Laric turned to Ren. "Show her, Ren."

Trembling, Ren removed Laric's jacket and let light fall on her burned elbow. Trevonna sucked in her breath and grabbed for the back of the nearest chair to keep herself upright.

"Laric!" Trevonna hissed. "I thought you told me Ren was coming along well with her fire lessons?"

Laric dropped his gaze. "I've been lying to you. She can't summon fire. I didn't want to believe it."

Trevonna studied Laric, eyes wide, before blinking and turning to Ren. "Okay, Ren, we need to get that burn under cool water and bandage it. Both of you, come." She strode out of the room, turned left, and pushed open the next door. Ren realized the room beyond had to be Trevonna's bedroom. It looked much the same as Ren's, expect for the bookcases that lined the walls, and in one corner, a turntable next to a case full of records. Trevonna guided Ren into the adjoining bathroom and turned on the tap in the sink, instructing Ren to put her arm under it. As soon as the water touched her skin, the pain began to lessen, and the fear twisting Ren's insides began to ebb as well.

Trevonna sighed. "We will have to tell the people the truth, but not tonight. Ren, if we bandage your arm and give you a shawl, do you think you can go back to the party? There's still about an hour before dawn."

Ren opened her mouth, which had grown dry, and tried to speak. "I guess so."

"I'm so sorry to ask it of you," Trevonna said, gathering bandages from a cabinet. "But if we can get through tonight, then we can all sleep and figure out what to do tomorrow." Ren nodded, and stayed quiet as Trevonna bandaged her arm and wrapped her in a huge tartan shawl, which she pinned in place with a silver brooch, hiding Ren's arms completely. Ren and Laric ventured back into the party via the hidden corridor while Trevonna took a different route. When they got to the entrance hall, Laric followed Ren to the drinks table, where she drained several glasses of whisky. It dulled the pain in her arm, put a feeling of lightness into her exhausted limbs, and made it easier to ignore the panic clawing at her mind.

"What do we do now?" Ren murmured.

"It's starting to get light outside. We should be on the moor for the sunrise." Ren let Laric take her hand and lead her outside, fairies forming a disordered procession around them as everyone headed out to watch the sunrise.