Chapter Nine: What Changed?

The next day he woke up in a sleeping gown and was attended to by a different maid, her name was hope. “Good morning young Master have you been well while I was gone?” she calmly asked, he tone soft and gentle. She had an elegant-maid look to her with her sharp amber eyes, slim nose, thin rosy lips, and her hair that was a warm brown color.

“Mm?” he questioned, still not fully awake and reluctant to speak at all. She swiftly ushered him into the bathroom, bathed him, dressed him for the day and brought his breakfast in for him. She seemed to know exactly what she was doing and he didn’t want to seem weird to her so he let it be and said nothing.

This struck the maid as odd as she often listened to her master's complaints, and she was sure he would be complaining to her about anything and everything he did not like, but so far nothing. “Is young master alright?” she decided to check.

“Yea, I’m fine.” he responded with some food in his mouth.

“Pease don’t talk with your mouth full, you risk choking.” She warned as she wiped away the little bit of food stuck to the corner of his mouth. “But aside from that I heard that you were gravely ill while I was away, if you feel any discomfort or strangeness at all please don’t hesitate to say, we can postpone your leave until you have fully recovered.”

Alex looked at her and saw the genuine care and worry in her eyes for him and felt touched by it, she out of everyone he has come in contact with seemed to be the only one that genuinely cared about him and not because it was their job to do so. So this time he responded to her with more sincerity “I’m alright, really.” And smiled to show he was truly better. She tensed up and went back to standing tall at his side, really to aid him in anything as he practically swallowed his breakfast because it really was good.

Something was definitely wrong with him, she was certain of this, but what is it that would cause her young master to behave in such a way. The smile itself was near perfect but I wasn’t meant to be there on her cold master’s face nor was the warmth in his voice supposed to be there either. She anxiously pondered what could possibly be making him act like this as he Finished his breakfast.

“Could I have some milk please?” he politely asked, he would have to drink a lot of milk if he was going to get taller. “Of course.” She said and left to get some.

‘Another anomaly!’ the maid thought to herself as she went to fetch the milk he requested. Elias never ever wanted milk, he thought it was childish to drink milk at his age so instead he mimicked his father and always had black coffee despite clearly not liking it, instead he tolerated it’s bitterness at a young age and then simply got used to it’s taste. But today when he took a sip from it he uncharacteristically scrunched his face at it and never touched it again. He even politely asked for some milk, he never acted politely for anything in the time she’s been at his side. He didn’t even make any sort of attempt to postpone his leave, something just about everyone in the mansion expected of him! She would need to do some investigating if she was going to get to the bottom of this.

While she was gone Alex relaxed in chair and made note that she seemed to be close to Elias judging by how confidently she spoke to him, a sharp contrast from the others who were obviously scared of him. He wondered if he would have to distance himself from her if she was close to Elias, the original Elias surrounded himself with people he didn’t want to be associated with. Though he was reluctant to do so, she seemed so nice to him. He sighed and looked out the window, it was still early so birds were still chirping outside in search of food, he yawned and closed his eyes as he comfortably waited for the maid.

After a while she returned with his milk. She came back later than she normally would have because she was asking around about her young master’s change in mannerisms, Elias was an impatient child and she hoped he would say anything about it and still nothing. Instead, he sat up thanked her for the glass of milk and finished his breakfast. She took his plate away and decided to take advantage of this moment to talk to other servants about him again.

Alex went to properly look out the window to see what was going on outside and saw that a carriage was being loaded with things, Elias’ things probably, not surprising as he was leaving today which relieved him but at the same time he didn’t know what to expect. He sighs and goes to lie down on the bed already feeling stressed.

Hope was feeling genuinely confused and scared now, so far she hasn’t gotten anything from her co-workers the is even a little bit helpful to her, the maid that was attending him yesterday simply said that he was acting strangely since the morning and the person attending him the day before said he was completely normal, well as normal as he could be while being between life and death, the day before. From what she gathered something must have happened during the night before, perhaps it was in relation to the miracle that saved his life that night. Or maybe he has given up on everything and is simply mellowing out, it only seems like he became a quiet, timid, polite and over all very mellow kid, he could even be considered kind to some degree, so maybe this change wasn't so bad? She didn't know anymore.

She sighs and opens the door to Elias’ room and finds him on the bed. “Young Master?” her voice was soft and tender.

He hums, signaling that he heard her thought he didn’t move from his position.

“Are you sure you are feeling well, if there’s anything wrong at all you know you can tell me right? I’ll take care of it no matter what it is.” she both questioned and assured.

‘But I can’t tell you about this and you can’t solve this problem, not unless you were some kind of powerful being capable of returning me to my original world which you clearly are not.’ Those were his thoughts but he instead said “I’m fine… just tiered is all, and don’t worry I’ll be sure to tell you if somethings wrong.” He threw in that last part to reassure her too.

“Hmm…alright then, just keep my words in mind, that’s all I ask of you young master.” She decided to let it go and wait for him to come to her if something was wrong.

“… Ok.” He compiled.

After their brief conversation they made their way down to leave the estate for Elias’ punishment. No one but the maids and butlers came to see them off.

Meanwhile within the mansion the twins look out to see the youngest of the four siblings leave. They hadn’t expected this, they thought he would cause a ruckus before he left insisting that he is unwell and cannot leave today and yet nothing. Axis the older twin thought this to be a blessing while Arris thought this to be very odd but he was happy about it nonetheless. The two happily welcomed their relaxing end of year break and went to get their elder brother to celebrate the good news.

Actually the entire house was probably celebrating this turn of events, after all, it was always nice when the little imp was gone.