ꜰʟᴀᴍᴇꜱ.

[A/N] Future me?

Future me responds?!?!?: man.

[!] Trigger warning for the flashback of the story, deals with recollection of traumatic events, raging fires, losing a loved one, and panic. [!]

if I didn't make you cry this chapter, I'm a failure of an author </3

also, all of Technoblade's POV for the first half of this chapter is entirely a flashback, even the non-italics.

---

𝓣𝓮𝓬𝓱𝓷𝓸𝓫𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓮'𝓼 1𝓼𝓽 𝓟𝓮𝓻𝓼𝓸𝓷 𝓟𝓞𝓥.

I still remember the blazing heat. The way ashes fled throughout the small mountain. The forest fire marching through the trees like a chorus of soldiers. The night sky glistening innocently as it unleashed hell upon it's light.

"Techno- Techno I-I don't wanna die..." Y/N cried. I held them in my arms, their skin charred from the ashes of flames. Burn scars covering their skin like art upon a lonely canvas, with blood trickling out of various areas. I wish Phil, Will and I had arrived earlier. I wish I had more time. I wish I didn't waste the time I was graciously given.

"You're not gonna die, you hear me? You're not gonna die, Y/N." I tried to remain calm. I tried to keep my head space clear, to stay focused. But I couldn't. I couldn't do anything. I desperately tried to cover their wounds with any form of cloth, ripping off my own clothes in futile attempts. It was hopeless. I lied right to Y/N's face, and both of us knew it.

"I don't want this to be goodbye, Techno- I don't want to go-" Y/N sobbed. Their tears broke my heart. How was I supposed to remain calm when one of the only people who ever truly mattered to me is breaking right in front of me?

"Y/N you can't go, you can't go you promised me- you promised we'd spend the rest of our lives together, you can't go!" I was holding Y/N closer in my arms on the filthy ground, panicking. I couldn't stop the tears that pricked my eyes, threatening to fall down my cheeks. Everything else happening was irrelevant. The way the sky, despite being night, filled with red and oranges. The way the air filled with the smell of charred wood and ashes. Burning grass and leaves. All of it, irrelevant. The only thing that mattered was Y/N. The only thing I could think about was Y/N. I didn't know where Phil was. I didn't know where Wilbur was. All I knew, in that moment, is that I wasn't ready to say goodbye. I never planned on saying goodbye.

"Techno..." Y/N muttered, their voice filling with immense hopelessness. Have they already given up? They can't, no no no, this can't be happening. There's so much we still haven't done. So much I wanted to share, to experience, with Y/N. It can't all slip out of my fingers just like that. A life isn't a liquid, it can't dance through the spaces between my fingers. I can't let Y/N go. Not yet. I can't let them leave.

"Y/N please don't give up- please, you promised! I-I know that I was a bit closed-off to you and I'm really sorry! Just stay alive, I'll make up for it! I'll talk to you about all my favorite Greek Mythology stories, I'll visit you everyday and never leave your side! PLEASE! JUST DON'T LEAVE ME! I NEED YOU!" My desperate cries were only growing more anguished, but they were useless in the end. Y/N's life was already slipping away, I could see it in their eyes. Their eyelids growing weaker by the moment, their arms growing limper with each word. Time passes, but it felt frozen. "Please..." I whined, the tears finally streaming down.

"We will meet again, Techno." Y/N smiled weakly. Their eyes barely managing to keep open, and their voice was no more than a whisper. With every last bit of strength, they reached up to my cheek, cupping it and wiping the tears. I felt my self unconsciously melt into their touch, knowing it was the last ounce of warmth I was going to receive from them. With that, I leaned down, our lips meeting in the tender kiss I will miss for centuries to come. I don't want to pull away, I don't want it all to come to an end. I'm not ready, but it does. Y/N pulled away. With that, they fell limp.