B R O K E N H E A R T S

I opened the balcony door, welcoming the cool air with open arms

     I opened the balcony door, welcoming the cool air with open arms. My fiancé wasn't here so why was I? This has to count as some form of cheating, I swore that I would never do that to Rhett so what makes Faust so different, what makes him the exception.

"I'm glad you came." Faust emerged from the shadows with a soft smile laced on his lips, I looked the other way.

"I work for you, it's my job." My voice came out soft, and quiet.

"Right." He chuckles, my fingers spread apart against my thighs as the awkward atmosphere turns to a more calming one.

I slowly walked over to the railing closer to him, he looked off into the distance.

"I ran into Nicolas." I mentioned. "He told me about his pregnant girlfriend, how long did that take?"

"They just found out they're expecting a couple months ago."

I smiled at the thought of Nicolas finally being a dad, I know secretly he has always held some type of anger towards Faust for having children and a wife, he's always wanted that for himself and now he finally has it.

"I'm happy for him." I said.

"He's always been the right man for everything, I bet he'll be an amazing dad." He says.

I always thought it was Nicolas who was envious of Faust, envious of his success and will of making a family but now that I look at things, Faust has always thought less of himself, always doubting himself. In his head Nico had everything, freedom of loving who he chooses, freedom of wearing laid back clothes, not having to worry about his past.

"You know what I just realized."

"What ?" He asked.

"You never talk about your biological parents." I said.

He turns to look at me, it was clearly a touchy subject for him. The way his eyes let me know how much pain they've caused him, the way his shoulders tensed up trying to avoid that pain.

"My bio mom was a coke addict and my bio dad is a heroin addict, there's not much to say about them." He says.

"You're talking about your bio mom in past tense." I mentioned while leaning my elbows against the railing.

A sad smile formed against his lips, his eyes looked right pass me.

"She died when I was five."

I placed my hand on top of his before looking at him straight in the eye. "I'm sorry." I whispered.

He wet his dry lips with his own saliva while his thumb softly rubbed the top of my hand.