Chapter 2

LATER THAT DAY, THEY LOOKEDat a dead body that had been found in the woods by Riven, one of Sky's friends

at a dead body that had been found in the woods by Riven, one of Sky's friends.

The four of them had been called out to look at it and they just all stared at the poor mutilated body of a man from the first world.

"Its fresh," Silva said and Farah nodded, suggesting that it could be a wolf.

"Could have gone out to protect his herd, got surprised," Anya suggested as Ben looked at it.

"I'm happy to continue the guessing game but-" Ben took a deep breath, turning to look at the three, "This is char residue,"

She couldn't help her heart speed up slightly at the thought of there being more Burned Ones. They were monsters and if you were scratched by one, the infection would spread until either you died or the Burned One that attacked you was killed.

She shuddered at the thought of her friends ever being hurt by the things; lucky that nothing like that had ever significantly happened to them. She had been scratched herself - multiple times- but it was never for long, the Burned One had always been killed.

Anya looked at Saul, a defeated look on her face, "How long since the last sighting?" Saul questioned, eyebrows creased together.

"Sixteen years, Rosalind was relentless," Farah stated, not taking her eyes off of the dead body.

None of them had the most positive relationship with Rosalind, especially after what had happened at Aster Dell. It had ripped the five friends apart - literally.

"Could've been hiding-" Saul started when Farah shook her head, cutting him off.

"She killed all the Burned Ones," she explained, "Until we know something for sure, let's clean this up before gossip starts,"

Farah walked off, leaving Saul and Anya behind to look confused.

Neither knew what to do with this new potential outbreak of Burned Ones and neither wanted to think of the consequences. They had dedicated their lives to teaching the next generation for things like this but they had never imagined it would ever actually happen.

☆☆☆

"MUST HAVE BROUGHT BACK
memories, after seeing a Burned One after so long," Silva said to Farah as the three walked through the forest

Earlier that evening, Farah had explained that after the girls from the Winx Suite had chased after Bloom when she was trying to escape. They had encountered a Burned One.

This Burned One had subsequently attacked them but Farah was luckily there to save the girls. She had chained the Burned One up in the barn and that was where they were heading.

"The black hoods massacre" she stated.

"Our excursion to Maravet Falls," Anya added, Farah nodding her head.

"It feels like a lifetime ago," Silva said, keeping his gaze on the floor.

He looked at Anya after a while, catching her face in the moonlight. He couldn't help but stare, at the way she gawked at the stars or even in the way that her hair loosly framed her face.

"Didnt the two of you keep a kill count?" Farah questioned and Silva looked over at Anya with a smile.

"Thirteen personally," he said, "As in my sword in its flesh but of course I had help,"

They had always been the best pair, having taken down over a dozen of Burned Ones together. The two had bonded and were able to fight as one - a skill not many have shown since.

Those that believed in Soulmates in the otherworld would have said that they were soulmates; destined in the stars to be together forever. Anya however, was less of a fan of such talk.

She looked at Saul, "You can never take one down entirely on your own but apparently you still can," she said to Farah.

"I got lucky, it didn't see me coming," she explained as they walked to the barrier, walking through.

Silva opened the door, the three walking into the small barn to see the Burned One was still there.

Anya felt a chill go down her spine as she looked at it. It had been too long and she had hoped she'd never have to see one ever again.

"What do you expect to discover when you're inside its mind?" Anya questioned as she looked at it.

It was practically unconscious, occasionally stirring in its sleep but it didn't seem to be waking up for a while; Anya hadn't seen one in sixteen years.

"Answers. I'll sleep better knowing its a lone wolf," Farah answered, walking up to it slowly.

She crouched down next to it, closing her eyes, "Anya, I need a boost," she explained.

Anya nodded, crouching down next to Farah as she placed a hand on her shoulder, boosting Farrahs powers.

One thing she had learnt with Rosalind was how to channel her powers through other people and help increase their powers. It was one perk of her powers.

Her eyes darkened, her powers manifesting slightly as the darkness started to embrace the room like a cloak, covering everything.

As Anya and Farah focused on their powers, they didn't see the Burned One jump up. Farah noticed just in time, launching herself to the side and reaching out for Anya.

But Saul had grabbed her before she had a chance and Anya was pulled back into his arms, her back resting against his chest and she could feel his muscles as she held onto him for support.

Her heart sped up as she leaned her head back against his shoulder, breathing heavily from her close encounter with the Burned One.

"That was close," she whispered, looking up at Saul as she turned around, looking at him.

She stared into her eyes, knowing that if she didn't pull away soon that would get lost in them - but the same thing happened to Saul. He wanted to reach out and kiss her, to tell her how much he loved her.

Anya had been his best friend since they had arrived at Alfea but neither had ever had time for a relationship - whether it was from Andreas or looking after Sky or teaching, it was never in the cards.

"Thanks," she said, her voice quiet as she looked up at him. His eyes flickered between her eyes and lips, not knowing what to do as his self control was running out.

Saul stepped backwards, clearing his throat as the heat raised to his cheeks, "Any time," he said, heading towards the exit.

She watched as he began to walk away, her heart deflating in her chest as she just stared at him. Clearly he didn't feel the way towards her.

1384 words