Chapter 13

The headteacher's office was a place she visited often when she was a kid. But sitting here as a fully grown adult made her feel unnatural. she fidgited in her chair; crossed her legs, smoothed her hair and tapped her fingers. The sound of shuffling papers was the only thing Korra could hear, not even daring to look up to meet Tenzin's eyes that were most definietly gazing at her. Korra's uneasiness grew in the silence, because it left her with nothing to do but think about why she was sent here in the first place.

She acted without thinking, that's what normally got her sent to the principles office all those years ago. But even now, a grown adult, she was here for the same reason. Letting her actions speak for her and they weren't the good kind.

Tenzin stacked the papers up neatly before slamming them harshly onto his desk. Korra flinched and then finally picked up her view to meet his eyes. It was clear he was waiting for her to speak... so she did.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't of hit him.." She sighed. He deserved it.
"It was a mistake."

Tenzin clasped his hands together and his eyes narrowed.
"I figured you out Miss Smith."

"What?" Korra asked.

"Chief Beifong told me that you and Kuvira had at least taught a class once before." He explained.
"But I've found no record of you ever having taught at any public school in Republic City or anywhere else."

Korra slumped in her chair. She was never a teacher, she had only 'coached' a sports team once or twice.
"Miss Smith.." Tenzin addressed.
"You have no teaching experience whatsoever, do you?"

Korra adverted her eyes somewhere else and shrugged.
"Someone finally noticed."

"I thought the introduction of a dog was a horrible idea..." Tenzin explained as he got up from his seat.
"But the children seemed to like it."

Korra opened her mouth to speak but Tenzin held out his hand to stop her immediately. He strode around his desk, making Korra shrink further into her seat.
"I thought the use of that whistle was outrageous.."

"It was all that I could think of." Korra protested.

Tenzin held up his hand again.
"Please allow me to finish."

"Sorry."

"That whistle somehow worked... I don't know what kind of police officer you are Korra..." Tenzin stated and he stopped right in front of her. Korra was waiting for it, the insults that were being prepared to fire at her confidence. She looked up to him, confused once she saw that he was.. smiling?
"But you're a very good teacher."

Korra's jaw dropped to the floor.
"thank you.." she stuttered as her chest burst with the feeling of pride.

Tenzin pulled up a chair next to her and sat down, shuffling to the edge of his seat.
"Now, will you tell me something? don't lie." He asked and Korra nodded.
"What did it feel like to hit that son of a bitch?"

Korra looked, really looked, to see if this man was joking, pulling at her strings to see if she'd lash out. But no. This man was serious.
"It.. It felt great."

Tenzin nodded in agreement. he knew Tokuga was up to something but he didn't have enough evidence to report it to the police. When he saw Korra completely obliterate him outside of the school, the relief he felt was overwhelming.
"I bet it did."

<->

After the odd talk with Tenzin, Korra stepped out of the office feeling weirdly happy. She thought she'd be 'fired' from the school after what happened but to her surprise Tenzin was actually supporting her.