32.

Stepping through the front door, we enter a small corridor. The first bedroom is immediately on the left. I peer inside and see that it's small and clearly the kid's room. Who the hell puts a child's room next to the front door? Reaching the end of the hall, I see that the left corner of the large room is the living room and the right side is the kitchen. I continue to peer into the rooms. After the first bedroom is a closet, then a bathroom, and finally a bedroom. Charlie wasn't kidding, the place is small but cozy and everything looks good. The walls are nice, I don't see any scratches or possibly mold.

"Who's that?" Agnes points out the window. I join her near the couch and peer through the glass to see a woman circling the backyard, anxiously shaking her hands. She seems to be talking to herself. "William, there's a swing set!" She drums the palms of hers on my side. "William!"

"Hold on, kid," I pull her away from the window. "Go check out your room," I point to the door across from us. Agnes makes a face but runs into the room.

"That's your room," Charlie says.

"No way in hell I'm letting her sleep near the front door. Hey, what's up with your friend?" I gesture to the window.

He groans. "Imma be right back." He walks outside, making sure to shut the door behind him.

"Ahhhhhhh!" Agnes says loudly in an even tone as she runs out of the bedroom and into the bathroom. She continues to scream-whatever the hell she's doing-in the bathroom for a moment or two then runs out and into the closet. "Ahhhhhh!" She runs out of the closet and into the first bedroom. "Ahhhhhhhhh!" She leaves the first room then walks around the rest of the house. "Ahhh-"

"Agnes!" I bark.

"Yes?" She blinks at me.

"What are you doing?"

She points around her. "The walls are thick. Did you hear me?"

"Yeah, I did. But what do you think? Do you like the place?"

She nods eagerly. "But why is there only some furniture? Where's everything else?"

"I'm not sure."

"Can we see the backyard now?" Hopping over to me with her feet stuck together, reminding me of a rabbit, she grabs my hand, holds it over her head, and spins around. She's acting so strange and hyper-she just walked around screaming slightly, what is that? Could it possibly be the pills she's taking? Maybe to keep her asleep, they also keep her up. She was only asleep in the car for twenty minutes, she's usually out for an hour or more. "Please?" With her hand still in mine, she runs behind me, making me spin.

"Agnes." I balance myself before I fall over and kneel in front of her, gently grabbing her shoulders. "How long have you been like this?"

"Like what?" She begins to jump up and down under my hold.

"Hyper."

She slows down to a halt and thinks about it. "I dunno. Why?"

In my mind, I quickly play how this conversation could go. If I tell her she's too hyper and not exactly herself, then she might take it the wrong way and get upset and think I won't want her if she's like this. She also might hide her true self from me, and I don't want that. She's a little hyper, so what? She's still my Agnes. She's still the little girl I love and want to raise. I shouldn't be complaining about her energy, I should be happy she's not sad or upset anymore.

I shake my head then kiss her forehead. "Nothing. I'm sorry."

The door leading to the backyard opens and Charlie and a woman in a suit enter. I stand up as Agnes turns around, facing them and pressing her back to my legs. "Hi," she waves violently at the woman, who's looking better. The woman glances at Charlie before waving back at Agnes. What the hell was that about? Whatever it is, I'm not liking it and want to know why it's happening.

"Charlie, let's take for a sec." I turn Agnes around and pick her up. She drums her hands on my shoulders as I move swiftly towards the front door. Charlie is close on my heel which is smart of him. The way I'm feeling, if he even hesitated to follow me, I would snap at him.

Once I'm outside, I put Agnes down and cover her ears with my hands. "Who is that lady?" I growl at Charlie.

"A friend that's renting her place to you-"

"What's her deal? And don't bullshit me."

He looks at Agnes, who's picking at my fingertips and slightly jumping, and just knows I can ruin him without her knowing. I don't care if he's my boss, I will ruin him. I don't give a fuck if he's my boss. His eyes rest on me again and he sighs deeply. "She's awful at keeping secrets."

"What secret is she keeping that makes her nervous around Agnes?"

"What?" His brows shot up. "Jesus, Will, I'm paying for half of the rent and I didn't want Josephine to tell you. How could you possibly think...I don't even want to know what runs through your head." A mixture of hurt and rage molds his features and body language. "I know Agnes has been through a lot but loosen the ropes a bit."

My breathing is heavy and my hands-which are still pressed against the sides of Agnes' head-are aching from stopping the urge to curl them into fists. Paying half of my rent? Telling me how to raise Agnes? "I didn't ask for your help and I sure as hell didn't ask for your opinion."

He softens. "Will, I'm only trying to help. The longer you have a place, the better it looks to the judge when you adopt Agnes. And about the ropes things...I'm sorry."

"And how does it look with you paying for half of my rent?!" Agnes towards at my arm, and I feel my body relax as I peer down at her.

"I can hear you," she whispers. "Can I go inside?"

I nod and open the door for her. She runs inside, and when I face Charlie again, he's tensed. "Relax," I breathe. I can handle this like a civil man.

"I meant no disrespect. I just know Agnes belongs with you."

"Can I afford this place?"

"Yeah, but only if you continue to work overtime."

Groaning, I pull at the roots of my hair. I don't mind overtime, the only reason why I didn't do it before was because it was less time to drink, now it's less time with Agnes. "Agnes!" I yell, opening the door.

She runs over. "Can I play outside?"

I don't mean to dismiss her question but I need to know. "What do we think? Do we like it, this place?"

"We didn't like it before?" She asks slowly, confused.

Shit. "Alright, thank you."

She hops forward. "Can I play outside?"

"Give me five minutes." She holds out her hand, stretching out all her fingers, then runs back into the house. I close the door. "What do I do?"

"This won't change a thing, Will. Let me pay for rent and you can spoil that little girl."

"There's nothing else I can afford?"

He sighs. "We can check them out."