42

Alice Avery

After I clicked my seatbelt in I gave the driver Trent's address and he stepped on the gas.

I wanted to pretend that the last several hours never existed but that feels next to impossible, it'll keep me up at night.

"Long night?" The cab driver sounds and I look up. I had yet to see my appearance, I didn't even want to face it.

"Something like that," I spoke lowly.

I hoped I wouldn't get sick again and throw up in this poor mans car. I'm good at handling my alcohol, I could count on one hand how many times I've been drunk. I lost count of my drinks last night which is rare for me. I felt awful, I was dirty and starving, not to mention the horrid feeling that ruled over my stomach. Although, I believe if I were to throw up again it'll be from the news I have just received. How was I oblivious my entire life? How could Vince possibly hide from me that he was head of a criminal organization?

I shut my eyes and leaned my head back, the ride wasn't as rough as I thought it would be. I rolled down my window and let the cool morning breeze hit my face.

Those few nights ago when Ricky and I were in Phoenix, I told him we shouldn't go back to Vegas, I was partly serious. I do love it here I believed that I was ready to go, maybe I'd go to England, it rains a lot there. There are a lot of things that are holding me, there are also a lot of things pushing me away. Staying in Vegas felt like I was proving something to myself, I've ran once before, I don't need to do it again.

The cab came to a stop and I lifted my head and opened my eyes. I handed the driver some cash and stepped out onto Trent's trashed driveway. I kicked some beer bottles out of the way as I made my way up to the front door. It would be smart to just take my car and go home but I wasn't exactly the smartest person, at least not anymore.

I walked the steps to the wide open door and welcomed myself inside. A few people laid on the floor passed out, their must've been thousands of plastic cups littered on the floor. I walked carefully through the house until I heard someone rummaging through the kitchen. Trent stood there with a garbage bag in his hand.

"You're gonna be here all day," I teased him and crossed my arms at my chest. 

"Then why don't you come in here and give me hand?" He asked in an annoyed mutter

"Are you asking for my help?"

"You're an ass." He insulted as he stomped around picking things up.

"I need to talk to you." I changed the subject, he didn't bother to stop.

"No," he replied.

"I wasn't asking you; I was telling you."

He stopped and looked at me, "What do you need?"

I nudged my head to the door. "Outside, I don't need anyone hearing." I walked out the door with Trent following, he shut the front door behind him. "You work for Vince too, I need you to tell me things without holding back."

"Why would I do that?" He looked at me like I was stupid, "I don't owe you anything."

"You do but you'll never admit it." I shot back and he rolled his eyes, I took as step forward. "Listen, I've put you in a hospital before and I'll do it again. You'll end up like Link, except you won't be waking up."

He stepped away, an unusual grin on his face. "He was right, you are so alike."

My brows furrowed, he continued. "There's no doubt that you're his daughter." My jaw clenched as he went on. "You know it though,  you know it and you're proud of it, but you'll never admit it." He smiled proudly at himself.