Chapter 92 - Best of Men and Best of Brothers

Legs folded beneath you on the red leather sofa, you watch as Loki paces in front of the hearth, hands clasped firmly behind his back as you both wait for Clint to arrive. 

"Perhaps this was an erroneous course of action, darling," Loki says after a moment. 

You sigh, standing from the couch to walk over and give Loki a kiss on the cheek. Taking his hand, you give it a gentle squeeze. 

"You don't have to do anything you don't feel comfortable with, Lo. But for what it's worth, I think you should follow through."

Loki looks at you for a moment before opening his mouth slightly to respond.

"Y/n? You in here?"

Loki's mouth snaps shut as Clint's voice bounces up the stairs from somewhere distant in the library.

"Well?" you ask with a smile. Loki presses his lips together, clearly undecided. "Maybe if we're really, really quiet, he'll go away," you say with a grin.

Loki lets out a quiet, unwilling laugh and pulls you in by your waist to press a thin-lipped kiss to your forehead. He lets out a sigh before deciding how to proceed. 

"We're up here," Loki calls out.

You stand on your toes to give Loki a kiss before pulling away and heading to the stairs yourself, intending to give Loki and Clint some privacy.

"Where are you off to, darling?" Loki asks, the slightest, imperceptible waver in his voice as he catches your hand.

"I was going to give you some space," you say. "Unless you want me to stay?"

Loki's brow furrows for a moment. You can practically see him putting on his mask of indifference.

"You may stay, if you wish."

You smile softly, knowing this is Loki's way of asking you to remain. Turning away from the stairs just as you hear Clint start stomping up them, you make your way to the back of the office and settle into a forgotten desk chair in the corner of the room.

"Well, this is cozy," Clint says as he pops around the corner. "I didn't know this was up here."

"And you won't remember it's up here when you leave, Barton," you say with a laugh.

"Hey Y/n," Clint calls out, giving you a small wave. "What's going on?"

"Clinton, I have something to ask of you," Loki says in a grave and serious voice.

Clint's so shocked at hearing his name come from Loki's mouth that he simply knits his brows together in deep skepticism and suspicion, his gaze flitting from Loki to you. But you give him a warning glare, reminding him of your earlier threat, and you see his demeanor lighten. But only slightly.