𝘅𝘅𝘅. chapter thirty.

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
xxx. CHAPTER THIRTY.

AN UNSEEMLY DISCOVERY

┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

BRIAR SIGHED AS DIPSY ASKED 'would My Lady like to wear the green dress or the peach one?" The house elf was holding up the two elegant gowns. Briar was sitting on her bed, staring blankly at the walls. She'd only gotten home a few hours ago, but it turned out that there was a dinner party scheduled for that night. A few important families were coming over, including the Malfoys, the Lestranges, the Blacks and the Notts. Death Eaters, was Briar's only thought. It's a Death Eater gathering and I'm right in the middle of it.

"Green may be more appropriate, considering the occasion," Briar replied drily. Besides, she'd worn the peach one before. Amelia D'Alessio would have a fit if her daughter was seen wearing the same dress twice in public. Briar's mother had greeted her politely once she got home, and told her to go upstairs and get dressed for the dinner party. Some welcome.

"And for jewellery, miss?"

Briar sighed. She didn't want to think about jewellery. Grabbing the box in which all her jewellery was kept, she extracted a pair of silver earrings and the hairclip which Sirius had gifted her. She smiled. Perhaps wearing it would give her some comfort tonight. She set them down beside the dress, when there was a knock at her door.

"Come in," Briar called. The door to her room swung open slowly, and Christian D'Alessio stepped inside. He was wearing smart dress robes. His back was stiff and his old yet handsome face expressionless as he smiled at her.

"Aren't you dressed, yet? Our guests have started to arrive," Christian told his daughter. He sounded neither angry nor concerned; if anything, his voice was rather emotionless, a hollowness of what it used to be. Briar was still sitting on the bed, in a loose t-shirt and Muggle pants. She forced a smile at her father.

"I'll only be a few minutes," she assured him. She expected him to leave but he simply stood there, looking as though he wanted to say something. "Is everything all right, Father?"

Christian D'Alessio looked conflicted. He shook his head, and glanced at the dress that was lying on the bed. "No. It's just nice to have you and Lorcan back home this holiday. Hopefully we can all put this summer behind us. It wasn't the best time for our family, but we can get past it."

I highly doubt we can just 'get past it', Briar thought, coldly. She gave him another fake smile. "Of course, Father."

Christian  nodded, his eyes still fixed on the dress that was lying on her bed. His expression seemed to falter for a moment, and shock flitted through his eyes as he first glanced at Briar and then back at the dress. Briar froze. What was he thinking?