Chapter 17

"These are big glasses," the king told me as he held up the glass cups I had summoned. I took the cups from him and placed them on the rug beside my bed.

"This isn't a casual drink. We're doing this to get plastered so we can feel more comfortable around each other," I reminded him. He stayed silent and I took that as a response of acceptance. I summoned three large bottles of vodka and lined them up in a line against my bed stand.

Summoning alcohol for him was going to be a bit harder. I had seen someone from the staff carrying a bottle of dragon alcohol but it had only been for a moment. Closing my eyes I pictured the glass container that held the light red liquid in it. Soon my hand felt heavy and the drink was in my grip. "Is this right?" I asked him.

He took the drink from my hands and uncapped it. He smelled it then brought the bottle to his lips. He sampled the drink, not swallowing it, then nodded. I immediately summoned two more bottles just like it and handed them to him. He lined his bottles of alcohol against the wall. Then he copied my position and leaned his back against my bed.

"Can we both drink at least one glass before we start this dumb game of yours?" I asked.

He nodded and said, "I think it's necessary."

We both reached for our bottles and poured our glasses just short of the rim. We then chugged the bitter liquid in sync. "Okay... you remember the rules right?" He questioned.

I nodded as I replied, "I'm not stupid. You answer you don't have to drink."

"Right," he responded, "Who's going to go first?"

"You're the one who wanted to do the game. You go first," I grumbled.

He sighed and started the game, "Alright... How old are you?"

"I don't know," I told him.

"Drink," he replied.

"No!" I responded, "I really don't know."

He raised his eyebrow and asked, "You don't know how old you are?"

I shook my head and said, "I have an idea but I don't know it for sure."

"How can you not know your own age?" He inquired. I filled up my cup and drank it. "Really? Oh, come on! At least tell me what you think it might be," he exclaimed.

"I think I'm 27," I told him, "How old are you?"

"I'm 28," he answered, "What are your parents' names?"

I smiled at the thought of my parents and answered, "Darla and Chris."

"Nice," he commented with an approving nod.

"What were your parents' names?" I inquired.

His face seemed to sadden a bit but nevertheless, a smile showed up. "George and Katherine Anders," he answered in a daze.

"Those are very royal names," I said with a grin.

He chuckled and replied, "Yeah... they were. Why do you not have a last name?"

"My parents thought that having a last name was setting people up for failure. They figured that people wouldn't need a last name to distinguish you if you were exceptional," I explained.

"Why'd they think that?" He questioned. I again filled up my cup and drank it.

I set my glass down and asked, "What was your first thought when you saw me?" He stared at the wall for a second, debating something in his head, then he filled up his cup and drank it. "That bad?" I joked.