006. STICK IT OUT

' WIRES

' WIRES. '
CHAPTER 006.
STICK IT OUT.

"WHY DID YOU help me? Why did you take me to Lawrence?" Neve asked, putting supplies on the shelves of the supply room. Gally was behind her doing the same thing. She still didn't understand his reasoning and couldn't fathom the idea of it simply being to help her, to protect her, to save her.

Gally looked at her for a moment then sighed before going back to what he was doing.

"Hey, I asked you a question. And I don't want any more of that bullshit about me being smart or anything because you knew me for less than a day before taking me behind your friends' backs to the man in charge. Why?"

"They're not my friends," he said, hands tightening around the edge of the table.

"Oh my god, who cares? Tell me why," Neve groaned, turning away from the shelves.

"Chuck," Neve heard him whisper under his breath.

"What the hell is that?"

Gally shook his head. "You really need all the answers, don't you? Why can't you just give it a break for once? God, you never stop asking questions. You're so damn persistent," Gally said, turning around, suddenly angry.

"Cool it, tough guy, it just doesn't make sense. Stop being so cryptic. You either have an insufferable hero complex or you're just a lot dumber than I thought you were," she scoffed.

"Why do you do that? Why do you have to be so aggressive about everything? Anytime anyone tries to tell you you're wrong you can't accept it. You go on offense and you just don't know when to stop. Why don't you ever just let it go? Not everyone has some sociopathic reasoning behind what they do," he jarred.

"Oh, so I'm a sociopath?" Neve raised an eyebrow at him as he looked down.

"That's not what I said."

"It's what you meant," Neve stated, closing her eyes and shaking her head. "Whatever, I don't care anyway. I just want to know why you're so uptight about this because it's really messing with my head."

"Well, some things just aren't your business," Gally huffed, taking his hands off the table and shoving another can onto the rusty shelf.

"It's my business when it's regarding someone basically saving my life. You brought me here and I want to know why. Not that I needed you to save me, I was perfectly fine on my own and-"

"Well, then why don't you leave," Gally said suddenly. "Go stick it out alone again and stop giving everyone a headache." He didn't turn away from the shelf this time, he only rested his head on the metal unit. She heard him let out a long breath and inhale deeply.

Neve stopped talking, she felt something in her chest, something she didn't like. The feeling was all too familiar, so familiar that Neve felt it was becoming a constant. The feeling of loneliness was becoming the only thing she could trust, the only thing she could count on. "Maybe I will. I don't need your damn charity," she snapped, putting the final cans on the shelf in a stretch of pained, awkward silence. After the final can hit the corroding metal, Neve stepped away, eager to get out of that room.