23

"You knew I wasn't home." I said closing the car's door after I had sat properly.

Diane smiled charmingly my way, "Hello to you too."

I looked into her eyes and said, "You knew I wasn't home, that's why you asked what address." I pressed, watching her cocky expression change into an annoyed one.

She scoffed, "Fine, I knew you were going to be with Thomson."

"You're allowed to call her Ashley when it's just me." I chuckled softly.

"Sorry, the habit."

"You're jealous." I pointed out just a second before she drove away from Ashley's house.

I didn't need a lie to get out of there, because Ashley had told me her parents were on their way back home. Apparently they had decided to leave early, and Ashley protested for me to stay, but of course she wasn't all that against me leaving.

"I'm not." Diane said, focusing her gaze on the road.

"You are, look at you. You're blushing, that's why you kept texting, you wanted me to have you in my mind the whole time." I said.

"Did it work?" She smiled again and looked at me for just a couple of seconds before she redirected her eyes on the road.

"Sort of." I shrugged.

"Sort of?! You asked me to come pick you up, of course I got in your pretty little head."

I sighed, "That's not why I wanted you to come pick me up."

"What happened?" Diane asked, looking back and forth between me and the road, "Did she try to kiss you or something?" Diane joked, but it wasn't funny. "She didn't, did she?"

"She didn't," I said simply, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. Except we had kissed, just once. It felt like a long time ago but it wasn't that long ago.

I missed Diane's smell, and the comfort of her car. It started raining when we arrived at her place, and I knew it was going to thunderstorm.

I hated thunderstorms.

We went inside, it was as cozy as the last time I was here. Diane locked the front door and then surprised me by grabbing my hips and pushing me to her. The dirty blonde kissed my forehead and then looked down at me, her eyes smiled.

I gulped, and frowned my eyebrows a bit, "Dee, why were you acting so off today, are you going to tell me?"

Her eyes lost a bit of that sparkle, and the lines that would form around her eyes when she smiled also disappeared, because she was no longer smiling.

"Yeah, uh, sorry." She removed her hands from me, took off her leather jacket and went in the kitchen, "Want something to drink?"

"No, I'm fine." I said. I walked to the living room and sat down on the couch.

Diane came back with a glass of red wine in her hand and sat down next to me on the couch. She seemed nervous, and there was proof of it after she drunk half of her glass in less than a minute.

"So?" I said. I figured whatever was in my mind about Maya could wait, because I needed to get things straight with Diane. We had had a small argument and I wasn't going to ignore it just because.

Diane took another sip of her wine, her glass almost empty now. She was nervous, "Lou, you know you mean a lot to me, and if you don't well... you do. I... I'm so grateful to have you in my life, and I couldn't imagine it any other way, because it's depressing just to think of not having you in it right now."