14.

Song recommendations: there's two today! Listen to "Little Did I Know" by Julia Michaels for Philly's perspective OR "Fool's Gold" Specifically Niall's version to see from his perspective!
-
"Thank you for all joining me here." I said to the rest of the squad in the briefing room. Our shift was over, so we had complete privacy. "I've picked who I believe are our strongest detectives to work this case with me."

Styles.

Tomlinson.

Payne.

Malik.

Horan.

"We're dealing with more than gang violence here." Horan added as he stood next to me up at the front of the room. "We have reason to believe that this chain of crimes and meetups have to do with a mafia type organization."

"Mafia hey?" Styles looked intrigued.

"Thankfully at the last meetup in February, Detective Horan strategically placed trackers on the doorknobs. We've been able to track the whereabouts of Julian Hidalgo." I explained.

"And we're dealing with Aristocrats." Horan sighed. "He hangs out a lot around the NOHO region, so we assume that's where his family lives."

"So why do you need us?" Malik raised an eyebrow.

"We need one of you." Horan clarified.

"We can't go to any more of the meetups without being spotted. We have to send someone undercover." I said.

"Styles?"

"I'll do it." He nodded with a grin. "Love me some undercover work."

"You just have to be really careful." I told him. "You can't fool around."

"I'm a serious cop." He leaned back in his chair. "I've been undercover before, no need to worry about me."

"Great." I let out a breath, not quite believing him. "Any more questions?"

"What will we be doing?" Tomlinson gestured to himself.

"You three are here to provide backup and technical expertise." I said to Payne, Malik, and Tomlinson. "And before you say anything, I know you are my superior officers, but if we're going to take down this operation, I need to take lead."

"I'm allowing you to take that lead." The Lieutenant nodded. "As long as Malik is okay with that."

"I trust you." Malik nodded.

"Good." It felt like a water balloon full of relief bursted in my chest. "Styles I'll come up with an alias within the next two weeks and we'll set up a meeting to discuss it."

"Or I can just ask you every day until you do it."

"Whatever." I waved it off. "I'll let you know the details before you go."

"Any final questions?" Horan looked around. Nobody answered.

"Dismissed." We said in unison.

I snapped my head over to him as everyone was getting packed up to go home.

"Fuck you." I muttered.

"Okay." Horan rolled his eyes.

We'd been on a fighting streak. Ever since that night in February where something almost happened, we'd been at each other's throats. Two weeks of absolute chaos. He hadn't been driving me home lately because we couldn't bear to stay within three feet of each other for more than two minutes.

Once the precinct was cleared, it gave us the perfect opportunity to yell at each other.

"You know I should really be the only one standing up at the podium during briefing." I told him as I packed up my belongings from my desk.