25- Truth Doesn't Change The Way You Lie

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

HER KNUCKLES WERE WHITE, clenched so tight the bone was pushed hard against the skin, circulation nearly cut off. Her breath was slightly sped up, shaky exhales parted from her lips.

The things she would do for some boy.

Alfred laid on the couch beside her, unconscious, a small bruise—Veronica was sure— probably now formed from where she had hit his pressure points with a harsh blow. It wasn't like she did it to be disobedient, well, technically she had. But at least, not with malicious intent.

She just wanted to go help Dick.

That wasn't so wrong, was it?

She sat there moments more, fully suited up, and in her hand was the black mask which hid her features and concealed her identity from the outside world.

She had to do this. Bruce and Selina just...she didn't trust them.

Things had been too off recently, especially with the woman she would've normally entrusted with her life. The secrets, lies, whispered and hushed arguments from behind closed doors. Veronica was the woman's second hand, sidekick, daughter. The one she told everything to.

So, where was that now? Where had that gone?

She stood then, glancing back at Alfred, a twinge of remorse plucked from inside her at what she had done. "Sorry." She whispered hoarsely to the silence, then turned around swiftly and ran into the BatCave.

She would use Bruce's bike. After all, what had he trained her on it for, right? She took in another deep breath, before strutting over to the BatComputer, and typing in the password that opened the huge garage door which led to the outside world.

Truly, it was his fault for telling her the code.

It rose with a loud whir, and the girl hopped onto the bike and pulled on her helmet, her masks placed securely in her suit's utility belt.

She revved the engine.

Dick was in trouble.

She had to go help.

What if Bruce and Selina needed an extra hand, were in a compromised position, and couldn't get to the boy in time? Or vice versa? She just couldn't risk that scenario.

She flipped up the kickstand up, and the second the underground garage door was up enough for her to fit through, she sped off into the night.

—x—

The trackers Bruce implanted into them all proved to be useful indeed. All Veronica had to do to locate them was click on the mini computer installed on the jacked out bike, and click a few tabs before it displayed a map with the two little red tracker dots on the move.