There is God, then there's us

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
Little Roe was back in the all girls orphanage. It happened quickly aswell. Lizzie had offered to take her to go see animals on the market. But not long after they had arrived, Nurse Angela had taken Roe back. Lizzie had told us what she had seen. How rough the nurse was with Roelynn and had hit her across the cheek multiple times. If me or my family was there instead of Lizzie, I can guarantee nurse Angela would not have hit Roe. It wasnt suprising that the nurses are abusive. Who else would've given Roe those marks and scars on her back? She doesnt see anyone besides the nurses and other kids in the orphanage. So I had made an appointment with them, Aunt Poll wanted to come aswell. First I wanted to go alone but she wasnt having any of it.

So now me and Polly walked through the hallway towards the dining room. As we walked inside the room I saw 5 nurses, including Angela, praying to god thanking them for their breakfast. I sat down and waited for them to finish as I lit a cigarette. "You wanted to speak to us Mr Shelby?" Angela asked, I replied with a simple 'yup'. "All of us?". I nodded my head confirming it. "At 6:30 in the morning?". I wanted to be here fucking earlier, so be greatfull I just said 6:30. She watched Polly light a cigarette aswell. "Wr dont smoke in here" she commented, "well I fucking do" I snapped back. I saw her smile uncomfortable. "Nor do we use language". "Nor do we find fault in the innocent. Yet you do. You fucking do" Polly answered and sat forward as she glared at head nurse. "May I ask what this meeting is about?" Angela asked avoiding Polly's statement about her. I sighed "our foundation is the biggest single source of funding for this charitable instition devoted to the care of the orphan girls" I explained, "for which we give thanks". I nodded. "I have a temper similar to the one described in that report. Yet unlike you, I wait untill I'm matched in size" Polly said sliding Lizzie's statement over to the nurse. "Who have they spoken to?" She asked. She knew exactly who the person in the rapport was cause there was a photo of Lizzie with it aswell. Just to make it click in her head. "You would want them to only speak to God" Polly replied with a glare, "may God be their witness" Angela sighed while reading the rappkrt further. "There is God and there are the Peaky Blinders, Mrs Parker. This is Spark Hill, we are in Small Heath. We are much much closer at hand than God" I darkly stated. "And we have not only heard about the terrible things. We have also seen the outcome" Polly explained as she shortly mentioned the marks and bruises on Roe's body. "We have in this place the worst sort of children. They lie as easily as breathe" Angela answered back with agitation. She then stopped and lookes at me "Mr Shelby. Your own sins are legend". "Our sins?" I gave her a harsh glare as I was about to rant "our sins against the beating of children with bricks and hoses. Our sins against the girl who ran away in fear for your temper" I scowled at her. She then realized who the child is that I was talking about. "Roelynn needs a harsh hand. So I do not see how-" she explained. I got mad and cut her off "you do not see?!" I growled at her and snatched her glasses of her face before smashing them on the table with my fist.

 I got mad and cut her off "you do not see?!" I growled at her and snatched her glasses of her face before smashing them on the table with my fist

"now put 'em on" I ordered her. She stayed still as she was frozen in fear. "Put them on your face. Or it will be your eyes that will be broken. Please don't imagine that I won't use this minute to do it or that I am afraid of your prayers or your crosses". I watched her carefully put her broken glasses on her head. Polly leaned forward as she began to speak about her seeing the world broken now just like Roelynn will see the world... a broken world. "Now look at me" I told her. She didnt move. "Look at me". She still didnt look up. I breathed an angry breath before yelling at her "Look at me!". She carefully met my eye and I told her the funding was withdrawn. "You can't do-" I cut nurse Angela off by slamming her against the wall as I gripped her neck. "I'm a Peaky fucking Blinder. I am Thomas Shelby! I can do whatever I want" I yelled at her and gripped my hands tighter and grabbed my gun showing it to her. "I can even kill you if I want". "Thomas" Poll spoke in a warning matter. I ignored her. "Cause you crossed a fucking line". "Thomas" Polly said this time a bit louder. "When you laid a hand on Roe" I sneered and pushed the gun even harder into Angela's scalp. "Thomas" Polly said this time. "What!?" I snapped as I turned towards her. I was annoyed at her for cutting me of during my rant. Her eyes told me to look behind me. Confused and still gripping Angela's neck I turned my head. I froze as I saw Roe stand in the door opening completely frozen in fear. She looked absolutely terrified, her face being a deathlt pale colour as she squeezed Mr Monty. I quickly connected the dots. She was terrified of me. I quickly let go of Angela, who immediatly dropped to her knees on the floor inhaling the air like a drug. I put my hands up to show I meant no harm to her and softly said her name. When I took a step forward, she took one back. I just hoped she would relax, but man was I wrong. Cause I took one more step and she turned around and ran for it. "Shit" I cursed and ran after her. But as soon as I got outside I lost her. I probably cursed every curse word in the book and aimed it at myself. My anger had gotten out of control just as Roelynn had walked inside.

(Roelynn's P.O.V.)
I didnt know where I was running to but I just wanted to get away. Mr Shelby scared me. He was so angry and that means he will hurt you. Angry people always hurt you and should not be trusted, ever. I thought he was different, but I guess he is like everyone else.

Published: 5th of may