Dreams of Past and Future

The gold and white checkered halls of Beauxbatons stretched before me, dazzling yet foreboding. The lights above shone bright from the marble ceilings, casting glares on the golden tiles beneath me, but it made no difference. It didn't matter if this place was fully lit or completely dark; it brought me horrible memories regardless.

Spiral staircases were on either side of me, winding upwards through the ceiling to the second floor. From there, if I remembered correctly, the steps would shift from a simple marble to a brilliant gold as they reached high up into the third, fourth, and fifth floors of the castle and into the dorm towers.

"I must be close to the Headmistress' office," I noted to myself, "The stairs here lead up just like the ones near hers, while the ones on the other side of the hall lead down to the wine cellars.

I was back. Once again, I was back inside of the place that I had sworn to never return. The very place that I had endured years of bullying and physical abuse at the hands of the students that it held. Things that I hadn't even told Luna about, nor anyone else.

Luna!

I swiveled my head around, darting it from side-to-side, searching for her. The standard Beauxbatons uniform that I was wearing briefly choked me as I did so, forcing me to turn my entire body around instead of just my head. The blue silk was meant to be comfortable since students were forced to face straight forward when they walked and sat, not so much when one made a sharp change in direction.

Luna was usually in my dreams as a comforting presence in what would otherwise be a nightmare, but she wasn't here this time. Why?

The two large bells far above me on the castle roof rang, signaling for students to switch over to their next classes. I had always dreaded these ten minute intervals; since a majority of the First, Second, and Third Years had classes grouped closely together on the first and second floors, this left plenty of time for anyone to trip me, knock my books out of my hands, and take turns taunting me.

Warily glancing around, I waited instead of trying to rush through as fast as possible. I knew that this was just a dream. Sure, the other students could still hurt me here, but that didn't mean that any of it was real.

Besides, I wasn't afraid of them anymore. It didn't matter to me if they bruised me, and it didn't matter if they slapped me in places where no one would be able to find the red marks. Because I would always have something that these spoiled girls and boys would never have as long as they kept doing what they did.

I had someone that cared for me.

No one else came out of the classrooms when it was time except for a single girl. This girl walked out of the potions classroom and turned towards the other end of the hall without a sound, not acknowledging that I was even there.

She was wearing the same uniform that I was, the only difference being the small crescent moon that was embroidered on her sleeve, dandelion yellow against light blue. She was facing the same direction that I was, her back turned to me. She obviously hadn't seen me yet.

Her hair, a rich shade of a white-gold blonde, bounced a little as she took perfectly measured steps. She moved as elegantly as any student here, but I could somehow tell that she was out of place.

That hair...

The blonde turned her head ever so slightly to give me a brief glimpse of one of her eyes. It revealed a sliver of a familiar steel blue with a light in them that reminded me of someone. She blinked once and turned her head back to face away from me once more. Her steps were more cautious now that she had probably caught sight of me.