Chapter 3

The next few days were painful, both physically and emotionally. Her wounds were still tender for the most part, and it caused her much anguish whenever she tried to move. Her mind was screaming at her to cry, to release the aching feeling in her chest, but she would not allow herself to show any form of weakness. As days went on, she found that complying to every order made things a hundred times easier. She stayed as low as she could, dodging the ever constant radar of the Warden and the Pedagogue. She figured that if she kept her mouth shut and her mind void of any dangerous thoughts, she could make it through without any trouble. And she was right for the most part. 101505B and 81305B both threw her questioning looks from time to time, surprised and confused that she had completely gone silent. But she refused to even speak to them, lest she say something that would get her in trouble again. Fear ruled her life now. There was not a glimmer of joy nor a sliver of hope in her entire being anymore. She was just a mindless robot going through the motions of the daily schedule, nothing more than a blank slate.

One morning during the daily inspection, the Warden smiled at her. But it wasn't a comforting expression. It was an expression of victory, as if he was proud that he had finally beaten her into submission and sucked the life out of her. She could almost feel him soaking in the pleasure of her misery. As usual, she stayed silent.

"12505A," he spoke in his gravelly voice. "I haven't heard you speak in a while."

She remained speechless. He struck her harshly on the side of her face in a futile attempt to make her step out of line. But she still did not make a sound. She simply bit her lip and quelled her violent emotions which were threatening to break down the walls of her sanity.

"Answer me!" he ordered, his voice sharp and commanding.

"Yes, sir?" she finally said, her voice soft and weak.

"Why are you acting like this?" he asked, his voice laced with mockery and contempt. "Why has this sudden change taken place in you?"

He already knew the answer, and she knew he was just trying to rile her up and make her snap. He wanted her to play his sick little game, and she knew she could not win if she joined. She inhaled deeply in calm herself down before speaking.

"I've learned my lesson, sir."

"And what made you finally understand?"

"The punishment, sir."

"Are you angry at me for making you go through that?"

She bit her lip. Yes, she was angry. Yes, she wanted to say that. She wanted to scream and shout and release all her fury and rage on the man who ordered her to go through so much pain. But she withheld from saying anything. It was another trap.

"No, sir," she spoke slowly.

"You're lying."

"No, sir. I'm not."

"Why aren't you angry?"

"Because it taught me a lesson, sir."

"And what lesson was that?"

"To obey any and all rules without complaint, sir," she answered, reciting the rule that she had broken so many times prior. The Warden was surprised by her answer, but pleased nonetheless. Another sinister smile began to stretch across his face.

"Good," he spoke, his voice no longer harsh. "I'm glad that you have become a changed girl. Perhaps you will serve as a warning to the others who dare to defy the rules. Am I right?" he asked now addressing the class.

"Yes, sir," the whole class responded in unison.

"Excellent," he spoke before nodding to the Pedagogue and exiting the classroom.