(45) Always

"Larry, I think you'd better come see this."

Your dad, Larry Daley, looks up from his clipboard to meet Ahkmenrah's worried glance. "I don't know...tonight's the biggest night of my career Ahk..." Larry pinched the bridge of his nose with worry. Tonight was the Museum of Natural history's planetarium grand opening. Your dad had a huge show with the exhibits of the museum planned, and he really wanted to impress his boss, Dr. McFee. You knew how stressed he was.

You approach your dad slowly, trying hard not to trip on your silver heels,(Dad insisted on you dressing up, even though you absolutely hated wearing dresses and heels) and place your hand on his shoulder. "It's alright, dad. I'll go see what's up with Ahk." You reassure him.

Larry smiles. "Thanks sweetie, that'd be a big help." He says, kissing the top of your head.

You walk over to the pharaoh. "So what's up Ahk?" You ask.

"I think it would be better if I showed you..."

You feel your chest grow heavy with worry. You didn't like how nervous your boyfriend sounded, it was unlike him. The two of you stay silent as you walk down the dark empty halls of the museum. It was strange to be in the museum at night, but it was even stranger when all of the exhibits were all down in the lobby and the halls were silent. "You seem worried, Ahk. How bad is whatever you're showing me?" You say, taking hold of his hand.

"Is it that obvious?" Ahkmenrah's eyebrows scrunch together with worry. The two of you enter his tomb and a gasp escapes your pink tinted lips.

"Why is the tablet...green?" You ask nobody in particular, as you walk closer to the artifact. "Has it ever been like this?"

Ahkmenrah stands beside you. "No, never. It's always been exactly the same."

"What's causing this to happen?"

"I'm not sure. My father knew all of the tablets secrets, but he never shared them with me." Ahk crosses his arms in frustration.

"Is there anything we can do?"

"I wish that..." Ahkmenrah gasp and begins falling backwards. You quickly step it and catch him, gasping yourself when you realize that the tablet's green erosion grew bigger.

"Are you okay?!" You quickly ask, helping Ahkmenrah regain his balance.

Ahk stares at the tablet for a few moments before looking to you and smiling. "Y-Yes. I'm fine."

"You don't look fine. The tablet just became more...green, and you got all light headed for some reason! That seems pretty far from 'fine.'" You scoff. You look into the pharaoh's deep, brown, eyes, and cup his cheek in your hand. "Ahk, I'm worried about you. I'm...I'm really scared." You whisper.

Ahkmenrah's eyes waver from the tablet to you. He wraps his arms around you. "I'm scared too. I don't know why or how this is happening, and I don't know how to stop it."

"I'll talk to dad and do research on the tablet. I promise that I will find out what's going on, Ahk." You say, trying to sound confident in yourself. In reality you had no clue as to how you were to keep that promise to Ahkmenrah.

"Thankyou, Darling." He whispers, kissing your cheek.

You blush and smile. "We're in this together."

"Just like always."