43

Alice Avery

It was only the second time I had ever been on a plane. I hated flying, plane crashes horrified me. My hands were shaking, my palms were wet, and my leg bounced up and down rapidly as we began take off.

Theo agreed to give me his plane ticket, I ran into a few complications with it when I got to the airport but they were eventually resolved. Before I left I had time to shower and clean myself up, I finally ate and the uneasy feeling in my stomach vanished. I made Theo promise me not to tell anyone where I was, no one needed to know. If someone were to ask where I was he would simply say I was out of town.

I had an outline of a plan, it was messy and filled with gaps but I had a rough idea of what I was going to do once the plane landed. I was going to Chicago for Vince, why was I going for him? I hadn't figured that out yet. I wasn't worried or scared but rather excited, I was curious about the life of a free criminal.

The flight wouldn't be long, was only about three hours. I'd occupy my time by reading, listening to music and maybe I'd try to get some shuteye. I've packed enough for a few days but I don't plan on staying even that long, one or two nights is plenty.

The few hours were spent with me falling in and out of sleep, I'd read a chapter or two when I woke up and when I felt myself drifting off I'd set my book on my lap and lean my head back. It was painfully repetitive but it passed the time.

Turbulence rumbled as the plane set to land. I shut me eyes and gripped onto the arm rest beside me. Several minutes later I felt the rough touchdown, I exhaled and opened my eyes again. I lifted my back form my seat and gathered the few things around me, ensuring I wouldn't forget anything. I waited patiently for my turn to walk in the aisle, I grabbed my bags in the compartment above and walked off the plane.

I figured now I would find a hotel and try to track down Vince. I wandered the streets for awhile, I felt a sliver of comfort being back here. Although much of my trauma is rooted here, I still made good memories within the bad.

I pulled a cigarette from the front pocket of my backpack and smoked it as I walked along the street. I walked by a cemetery, I wondered if my mother was buried in there. I couldn't help but laugh at the idea, who walks down the street and thinks of that? My life was something I found utterly hilarious, I couldn't even say it was out of a movie because you can't make this kind of stuff up.

I eventually found a nearby hotel and got myself a room. I dropped off most of my things, I just kept my phone, wallet, cigarette, lighter, and key card on me. I grabbed a light jacket on my way out and I hit the sidewalk again.

I waved for a cab and got in the back. "1662 Monterey Avenue please" I told the driver and they pushed on the gas.

It felt necessary to go there, I doubt Vince would be there but it was worth a shot. I soon stood outside my childhood home, the red brick was faded, the door boarded up. I walked around on the dead grass and replayed small details of my life. It was odd being back here, the past was an ugly feeling.

A car drove behind me. I didn't think anything of it until it stopped. I head the door open, a pair of footsteps hitting the pavement, the door closed, footsteps got closer, they stood beside me, he stood beside me, Vince and I looking at the house,

"How'd you find me?" I asked into the quiet.

"I've had eyes on you for awhile."

Figures, I thought to myself. "I know everything," I said to him. "About you and the Mafia."

"Good for you," he said simply.

I sighed. "What happened? To the house?"

"After Angie died-"