d'or

(07/04/19)

HARRY'S P.O.V

When I was younger, I used to despise long car rides. The endless puzzle of roads and the hours that seemed to drag by mixed with the lack of attention from Gemma made it awful. But then again, in those car rides are where my parents introduced me to Queen, Elton John and many other legends. So I can't complain too much.

But now, as I'm squished in between Nix and Penelope, I really don't have anything to complain about. Apart from maybe that we're bringing Emilie's new puppy, Lilac, and she won't stop farting. She makes up for it by being adorable though. I've always wanted a golden retriever.

Nix has been pretending to be asleep on my shoulder for twenty minutes now. I don't know if she actually has drifted off, so I feel bad when Penelope tells stupid stories and makes me laugh.

"That's not even the worst story I've got." She says.

"Can I hear the worst one?"

"How much time have we got?"

"We've still got a good hour," Nixie's mum, Jane, answers. "Actually, does anyone want to stop for donuts? I could really do with some sugar."

"What type of donuts?" I question, stomach grumbling quietly.

"Cinnamon."

"What?" Penelope laughs at the confusion painted across my face, my cheeks turning red.

What are they talking about?

"Have you seriously never had a cinnamon donut before?"

Nixie rubs her eyes as she mumbles beside me, stretching as much as she can in the tight space. I move my leg over in an effort to make more space, but it doesn't work very well. It only takes a second for Penelope to whack my leg back with her hand.

"Jeez, Penelope," I whine, to which she snickers. "When did you wake up?"

"Just then." Nix smiles.

"Just in time to bully your idiot of a boyfriend!" Penelope calls over my head to her sister.

"I'm right here!"

"He doesn't know what a cinnamon donut is!"

Nixie shakes her head at me in disappointment, a playing grin on her lips. They're painted in their signature cherry colour, bright crimson bursting against her snow skin. I feel my heart beat race just like it did the first moment I saw her, jumping and skipping happily. It's nice to know that nothing has changed.

"Is it just a donut with cinnamon on it?" I ask.

"Great solve, Sherlock," Penelope mutters sarcastically under her breath, just loud enough for me to hear.

"Anyway, what story were you going to tell me?"

"Oh yes! Yes, yes yes," She laughs slightly manically, making me shift away a bit. "So, when Nixie was only little, around four, there was an incident at the shopping centre one time-"

"Oh are you telling Harry about the-"

"Yes I am."

"No, Penelope..." Nixie groans, burying her already pink cheeks in her hands.

"Yes, Penelope." I nod, smirking at her as she cuddles into my side, my arm already wrapping around her.

It's in moments like this that I wish I could say happily and truthfully that Nixie is my girlfriend. Because when she's holding onto me so tightly, it feels like the world is ending in the best way possible. I just hope that we keep holding on. It feels so domestic, and homelike.