Chapter 5 : your name

That Monday, Yeonji had come to work gushing over the way Gaeul's new trim made him look like a cute businessman, shoving an unimaginable number of pictures in your face.

You wondered how she even still had storage in that tiny phone of hers. Her obsession with her small white dog always made you laugh though.

You remember how she used to complain how she felt lonely in her apartment, but was way too much of a cleaning freak and controlative to actually cohabitate with one. Indeed, after she had offered that you move in with her, you had kindly turned her down, giving her a tour of your home instead.

The face she had made when she fell upon the mess that was your apartment was priceless. A little more and she would have ran out of there at full speed.

When it came to house maintenance, you could easily say that you were polar opposites...

Anyhow, after dramatically kneeling down on the floor and bowing repeatedly to show you her gratitude that you weren't moving in with her (weird friends, what do you want), the loneliness problem still wasn't solved.

But the genius you were (Ik Ik we be awesome) had quickly found an answer. You pulled your friend up from the floor and dragged her out of your house onto the streets, not saying a word as Yeonji was moving her free arm all over behind you in confusion. The devilish smirk you had plastered on your face didn't reassure her much, but you kept walking as fast as you could.

Finally, you had abruptly stopped, causing your friend to violently bump into you. She opened her mouth to pour down endless scolds (yes, you were her baby, though technically you were born a few days before her), but no sounds came out. She stayed there, frozen, gaping as the store window.

Behind the shiny glass, a multitude of animals lived their lives, some sleeping, others playing with mates, or looking at you with wagging tails.

"Wanna go in?" you had whispered with a big smile at your friend's expression.

She had soundlessly nodded, drawn to the pet store. You quietly followed behind her, letting her explore the lively store with small animal tweeters and jitters.

Yeonji stopped in front of a small dog, with fluffy snow white fur, and angelic eyes. Her eyes didn't leave its. An inexplicable moment happened between them, as if the time around them had stopped.

"I see you're interested in our little Gaeul here!" the shopkeeper suddenly giggled, popping out of nowhere. "He's a mini poodle. Very well house trained. A true gentleman. He's still a puppy, but should reach his adult height in about 4 months! He's very affectionate, but also a bit possessive."

"I'll take him." Yeonji breathed without a glint of hesitation in her voice, looking up to the shopkeeper, a sparkle behind her eyes.

And that's how it all started between them.

You had never seen a dog and his owner share such a close relationship. As the man said, Gaeul was a true gentleman, who never made a mess in Yeonji's house, and always had an elegant gate.

They were perfect for each other. As the shopkeeper had warned, he was also very possessive of Yeonji, barring his teeth whenever you hugged his owner in front of him, but his tiny size didn't make him very scary, so most times it just made you laugh uncontrollably.

It was undeniable that one couldn't live without the other.

You were pulled out of your thoughts when Yeonji's face replaced her phone, looking at you with big eyes, frowning and pouting.

"You zoned out in front of my precious gentleman! How dare you!"

"I'm so sorry Yeon I didn't mean to!!" you quickly apologized, guilt already hovering over you.