Chapter 12

Gladys calls an emergency assembly over the loudspeaker. So, instead of wandering off to Maths, I have to sit for an hour in the assembly hall. I always sit at the back, not bothering to try and find Perry – because she always wants to sit in the front row – and knowing that looking for Xander is useless because he'll be surrounded by all his dense hockey friends.

I sit comfortably in the back row, unbothered by the crowds making their way inside. The assembly begins and Gladys pulls up a PowerPoint presentation to illustrate her speaking points.

"What a great start to the year!" she says, her public speaking voice on.

I hear the door to the hall open up from behind me.

The late comer sneaks in and sits beside me. I look up briefly, just to be met with those intimidating brown eyes. Darcy.

"Hey," he whispers.

"Hey," I whisper.

"Did I miss much?" he asks, gesturing to Gladys' presentation.

"You know they never say anything important," I say. "Why are you always so late?"

A teacher a few rows in front of us looks back so we shut up quick. We wait a few moments after the teacher has turned back around to start talking again.

"I have better things to do," he says, briefly looking at me, eyes scanning my face.

Just the sensation of him observing me makes me sweat. Heat sprints to my cheeks like Olympians on steroids.

We're quiet for a few moments.

"What did Coach Goscicki call you guys in for this morning?" I whisper.

"What?" he whispers.

I repeat myself but he misses it again.

He leans forward so that his cheek is a breath away from my mouth.

I ask one more time, "What did Coach Goscicki want this morning?" I notice, almost completely camouflaged by his hair, the smallest hearing aid in his ear.

The teacher in the row ahead of us turns around again, this time holding up a finger to their mouth and mouthing 'sh'.

Darcy ignores the teacher's warning. He leans in, so close that his lips brush against my cheek. "He threatened to quit if we fought again. There was another brawl on the weekend." When he pulls away I feel cold.

"Are you hurt?" I say, quietly against his ear.

"Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself." He pauses for a moment.

I try to leave him alone and stop pestering him with questions. But within a few seconds, he's back leaning close.

"Don't tell anyone I'm deaf."

"Why? It doesn't make you any less hot." No fucking way. Did I just say that out loud?

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Year twelves in Historical Studies, please don't forget your permission slips for the museum excursion on Thursday night. Grade ten's..." Gladys says but I barely pay attention.

I try to keep my face trained forward, but can't help but check if Darcy is really starring at me or if I'm imagining the prickling sensation. I sideways glance at him, and he is slowly running his eyes down my features.

"What are you starring at?" I whisper, trying to be clear enough for Darcy to hear me.

"Nothing," he mimics me.