Chapter 30: Visitors

"Don't forget to stay quiet and keep your head down." Heloix instructs as he bends to tie up my shoes.

I watch him with a frown, frustrated that he is forcing me to stay by his side all day. Although rare, it's standard that when a human travels with a Beast that they work in the castle with the other slaves while their owner goes about his business.

I was looking forward to spending time with the kind woman from last night and don't understand why Heloix is so insistent on keeping me from doing just that.

"Can I work with the other slaves instead?" I ask again, jumping to my feet as he completes the last tie on my shoe.

Heloix doesn't even consider my words before shaking his head no, his mind having been already made up. I resist the urge to stomp my foot in anger, knowing that nothing will come of my childish behavior, but instead glare holes into the side of his head and throw as many evil thoughts his way as I possibly can.

Heloix lets out a quiet grumble at my glaring, his eyes darkening until I turn away in submission.

"Come on. We are going to be late." He states, standing abruptly and walking to the door.

His footsteps are loud as he stomps away from me, both of us angry. I don't immediately follow, but as he reaches the exit I let out a quiet sigh and make my way over to him. The sooner we start today, the sooner it will be over.

The hallway is packed full as we enter, all the guards standing along the wall waiting for the Heloix to pass. He doesn't so much as spare them a glance as he makes his way down the hallway, his strides long and fast. I struggle to keep up after him, my feet banging loudly against the floor as I attempt to.

The guards follow along behind us, my cheeks heating up as I hear their quiet snickers at my struggle. I know they are speaking about me, no doubt making jokes about me being the King's whore.

Heloix walks confidently throughout the hallways, not once faltering as he approaches a turn. It makes me wonder if he has been here before, and I make a mental note to ask him about it later. As he leads us through the corridors, I hear some chattering, the noise increasing the closer we become.

Eventually the hallway opens up into a large dining area, King Stephen already present.

He sits at the head of the table, a spread of food covering the entire surface. I'm not surprised to see he's wearing another extravagant outfit, the fabric jingling with his every movement. Humans stand along the wall, occasionally moving forward to serve him or fill his water glass, and I instinctively move to stand with them.

Heloix doesn't seem to notice as he sits down at the other head of the table, his guards lining up behind his seat. The human next to me jolts forward as Heloix lowers himself into the chair, immediately working on filling his plate.

"Good morning." The King greets Heloix, shooting him a toothy grin.

Heloix only nods in response before turning to watch the slave dish up his breakfast. A slight frown spreads on his face as he watches, his eyes suddenly flickering. I'm shocked by his apparent aggression, unsure why his Beast is fighting with him.

"Adeline." Heloix eventually grunts, his head swiveling to look at me standing along the wall. "Come eat."

All eyes immediately fall to me as he speaks, my heart rate spiking in nervousness as I shuffle forward and sit myself down in the chair to his right. I've never sat at a Beast's table before, and anxiety fills me at the sudden change.

The maid serving Heloix glances up at me in shock as I sit, but quickly drops her head back down and continues to dish up his meal. I do my best not to stare at the food, my mouth watering at the sight and smell.