Chapter Twenty-Eight

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: April 19th, 1950
Name: Stephen Dale Curtis
Age: thirty-nine

Eleanor's eyes widened as Dale parked right in front of the car dealership.

"Dale," She couldn't even think of what to say.

Dale unlocked the car doors and got out. "Pick your favorite car, princess." He told her after opening her door. "Think of it as an early graduation present," He added knowing good and well that she was going to object.

Eleanor bit her lip and nodded. She did tell him that he could do whatever he wanted, and she always wanted a car. "Ok,"

Dale was glad that she didn't put up a fight. He had to make sure that she would be alright, he would truly be damned if she didn't have everything that she needed.

"Are you alright?" Eleanor asked once she noticed the grim look on his face.

"Oh, yes. I was thinking of something, something stupid." He cleared his throat and shook away those stupid thoughts. Everything would be okay.

Eleanor didn't believe him, but she kissed his cheek. "If you want to talk, I'm always going to listen. Okay?" She wanted Dale to be honest, but she wouldn't push it. He never lied to her, so it couldn't be too bad.

Dale smiled at her sweetness. "I know that and I love you, princess." With those final words, they walked into the car dealership.

Eleanor wasn't nervous, she knew that Dale would take care of any problem. She knew that for sure.

A short and slim man with pale skin walked up to the couple and smiled. "How are you folks today?" He looked at Dale and knew without a doubt that he had money. And he had a colored woman on his side, a pretty girl. He certainly had money.

"The name's Walton Dupry," He said while giving Eleanor a nice look. Very pretty.

Dale narrowed his eyes at Walton. He was looking at Eleanor for a little too long. He knew a lustful gaze when he saw one. "Mr. and Mrs. Curtis," He introduced himself and Eleanor, emphasizing the Mrs.

Walton's eyes shifted to Eleanor's left hand and for sure, there was a ring. "Ah, well are you looking for something in particular today?" He asked Dale, who turned his attention to Eleanor.

"A convertible, right, princess?" Dale asked Eleanor and her eyes lit up.

She instantly thought of the other things Dale had bought her. Oh, she felt like a gold digger. Her joy faded at the reality of her relationship with Dale.

"Give us a second, Waldren." Dale didn't give Walton the chance to speak before he walked out of the dealership with Eleanor.

"What's the matter? Do you want a different car?" He asked in hopes of getting an answer. She was just excited and within seconds she seemed upset. "Did that creep make you uncomfortable?" He saw no problem with giving Waldren a piece of his mind.

Eleanor shook her head. "I don't want to feel like a gold digger," She murmured and Dale was confused. Where was she getting this from?

"All I do is go to class and sit at home with Clark. To be honest, I feel like I do nothing for you," She had to be honest or Dale would never know how she felt.

Dale took her hand and walked to the car. He opened her door and then got in the driver's seat. "Why do you feel that way?" He was utterly confused, but he was going to figure out where this was coming from.

Eleanor wanted to melt. She didn't understand how Dale couldn't see why. "It's obvious. I love you, but it feels like you do the most in our relationship. You're always there for me and you hold me all the time, you took me on a trip, the Christmas presents, my birthday presents, the random presents, I feel like I'm using you!" She said exasperatedly. Reality hurt her heart.