#021

chapter 21 

~ice cream~

"I don't understand why you had to drag me here," Song Yoon-ah complained, her voice echoing through the community park. With a huff, the teenage girl sat down on the park bench, regarding a certain young dark-haired boy.

"I don't know," he mused, handing her the ice cream he had just bought from the vendor. "I was bored."

"Liar," Yoon-ah mumbled under her breath, though her gratefulness was evident in the gleam of her brown doe eyes. It was becoming increasingly difficult for her to breathe properly while she was in the cafe. Getting outside gave her a much-needed breath of fresh air.  "It was obvious you enjoyed being there."

"I do like that place," Seojun replied without skipping a beat, as though he had rehearsed the reasoning in his head before she even asked the question. "But you've worked hard enough, you deserve a break."

Yoon-ah's lips curved upward in a warm smile. She had been trying her best to remain impassive but the fact that Seojun took her away from the cafe as if sensing that she was upset, was inexplicably comforting to her.

"I'm fine," Yoon-ah replied, looking down at her ice cream to conceal the spark of satisfaction in her eyes. "We should have stayed a little longer and got the job done."

As she looked up at him with a smile, Yoon-ah thought she caught the strange sparkle in Seojun's eyes. "Liar..." he echoed her words in a faint voice.

She fixed her intense gaze on the boy. With a wry smile, the girl threw her head back to look at the deep expanse of the sky, well aware of Seojun's dark eyes on her. 

"You're right," she breathed. "I needed this, didn't I?"

"I always have been," Seojun grinned, his cheery demeanor returning with these words. "Besides, I ought to do something as well. You sit back, let me finish the PPT and I'll get you the laptop after I'm done. How does that sound?"

 How does that sound?"