• 08 •

EVA

EVA

My face stung and I blinked quickly, desperately trying to stem the tears that had filled my eyes, threatening to make an appearance.

I will not cry. I will not cry. I will not cry.

I told myself I would not show these people that I was weak by crying in front of them, but as I saw the satisfactory looks on their faces, the smiles and hollers, and the pity on some, it felt like I was fighting a loosing battle. What had I even done to them?

When I looked at the one who called herself my sister, the one who had hated me from the very first day I stepped into her life, as she put it, I saw something stand out amidst the anger burning in her eyes. I could barely see past the tears blurring my vision, but the hatred she had for me shone clearly and that, I realized, was probably the only thing I'd guessed right about her from the beginning.

That she hated me with a vengeance.

"All I asked of you was to stay away from me. " she yelled, breathing heavily. "The only thing I wanted from you, was for you to stay the hell away from me. Did I ask for too much?

Wasn't that what I had been doing for the past week?

I was so confused and I wanted to just scream and let it all out. The pain and the hurt I had been harboring inside me. That I didn't ask for this —for my life to be cruelly taken and replaced with this alien one. But of course I didn't. The words would never come out.

"Did I ask for too much, Eva? " my name rolled off her tongue acidly. I had never hated my name more than I did whenever she said it.

I believed I was a good reader of people and until today, I had always been spot on. It came as a slap to the face, literally, that I was wrong about Zoe. To me, she had seemed like the type that could effortlessly make people hate themselves with the destructive words she threw at them, but never one to lash out physically. That assumption was shot to hell the moment she slapped me.

"Now I know why you were eavesdropping that day. " she shook her head, "It's because of him, right? And I don't know what you expected to hear but I'm glad we caught you earlier. "

Who was she talking about?

"So they caught her spying on them. " mused one of the watchers.

Everyone, except me, knew what was going on. I looked around, wondering if I would find a familiar face in the crowd and of course there was Amaka, who had made that comment about my eyes being contacts and Coco, my seat mate. I knew for a fact that they were  eating this all up; they never missed out on drama. This was, without a doubt, going to be the next topic for gossip.

I hated myself. Hated that I couldn't talk back, hated that I let them bully me and get away with it, hated that I was always the victim. I hated that I was born different and I hated my parents for putting me in this condition.