Love you

Hongjoong had insisted on watching the festival on the TV in his hospital room and—though it was definitely not the same as being there—he was still glad to get to see it. He was a bit jealous he didn't get to meet anyone from the big bands as he's sure his members did but hopefully they'd put in a good word for him. Their performances were obviously incredible and he took notes as he watched, looking for new things to try.

Normally a person would've gotten bored after a while but Hongjoong watched each performance with a keen eye. After a few hours of listening he had almost twenty pages of notes. The members would shake their heads at him but they'd be grateful in the end.

Finally it was time for Fever to perform. He was so nervous for them and still felt guilty for making them perform without him. It wasn't that he really had a choice but it was hard to see them go on as three.

His eyes started to water when he saw the three of them standing on stage, looking like true musicians. They looked like a real band! And the outfits were incredible! He had designed them but he still felt shocked to see them on! They started playing and he could feel the energy through the screen. San was killing his solos! He thought he would've had to cut at least one out but he seemed determined to play every single one. He honestly played them better than Hongjoong. Jongho didn't hold back on the vocals—which he'd expected—and his voice rang though the arena. He was sure it would be breathtaking to hear in-person. He watched Yeosang closely as he was their least confident player but he definitely didn't show it. Then suddenly he saw Yeosang lean into a mic next to his drum set and start singing back-up vocals! He didn't even know Yeosang could sing! He'd definitely have to add him onto more songs now!

By the time they'd finished Hongjoong had shed more than a few tears. He wasn't entirely sure if they were all out of excitement for his band or if a few had been jealousy but he dried his eyes and was getting set to eat his dinner. All of the biggest performers had either started or would be right at the end and he didn't need to watch the newcomers as closely. But then he heard them announce Wonderland.

He'd almost forgotten that they were performing! His meds were really kicking in and he could feel sleep calling him. But he slapped himself a few times and shook his head. He wouldn't fall asleep! Not just yet. He needed to see who they were up against at full strength. And maybe a small part of him wanted to watch Seonghwa on stage.

The started off strong and they definitely had the audience going. Their pianist was pretty good and his solo blew Hongjoong away. The drummer was really good as well. He had a different style of drumming than Yeosang but overall they were about even in ability. Just then he saw the drummer flick his stick on the rim and spin it in the air before catching it with one hand! He was pretty impressed and thought about writing it down to show Yeosang, but realized he probably couldn't do it without getting too worked up about dropping it. They'd have to see. His eyes moved to their guitarist, whom he remembered meeting at the photo shoot. He seemed pretty good and Hongjoong couldn't help but notice his style was very similar to San's. Had they learned together? Wooyoung wasn't quite as good as San but he was definitely comparable.

Finally Hongjoong's gaze moved to Seonghwa. He looked incredible in his dark cut-off and high waisted plaid joggers. And his hair was entirely pushed back, a style Hongjoong had never seen it in before but wanted to see it in again. Focus on his playing! Hongjoong scolded himself and watched his guitar. Though he was listed as leader and main vocal, his guitar skills were pretty impressive as well. Of course he was good at everything. Hongjoong turned up the volume a little to hear the vocals better.

Seonghwa's voice was deep and silky and he couldn't get enough of it. It wasn't as strong or powerful as Jongho's but it still commanded the stage. Hongjoong stared in awe at the screen. They were really good.

His bandmates had pulled out all of the stops but he wasn't sure if it would be enough to compete as a group of three. It would be pretty hard if they lost because of him, especially since they would never know how well they would have done if he'd been there. If he was being honest, he would give the title to his own group at this point.

All of a sudden he heard Seonghwa speaking and his attention returned to the screen.

"This last one is something I wrote just last week. You'll have to let us know if it's any good."

Hongjoong was confused. They wrote an entire song in a week and prepared it enough to end their entire performance? That was a pretty risky move! Maybe he was swayed by the predictions? No, but those had come out less than a week ago. Maybe he rounded? As these thoughts passed through Hongjoong's mind he was struck by the sudden mood change of the last song.

It started off slow and gentle, where the rest of the songs had been pretty upbeat. That was risky at a rock concert. He looked at Seonghwa who honestly seemed a bit nervous! He hadn't been nervous the whole night! Hongjoong remembered a moment where he moved his tongue around right when the camera fixed on him and Hongjoong almost had a heart attack. He DEFINITELY wasn't nervous before. It had to be the stress of performing something so unpracticed.

"The first time that we met,
I never can forget,
The way the yellow lights of the bar
brought out your almond eyes

We talked all through the night,
My god you were a sight,
But in the end you won me over
with your charming words.

And I can still picture you
Laughing at me as I
Make a fool of myself just to
Watch you smile
Watch you smile

And I didn't think I
Could ever love anyone
But getting to know you has
Changed it all
And now I think that I

Love you
And I
Can't contain it anymore I

Love you
And I
Don't want to hold back anymore I

Think of you night and day
And I don't care what anyone says I

Love
Love
Love you."

The song continued but Hongjoong was already won over. The nurses had left him a pair of crutches beside his bed in case he needed to move so he grabbed them and struggled with his cast but found he was able to walk with them. He also still had his clothes folded by his bedside so he changed into them hurriedly. As quickly as he could, he left the hospital, catching a taxi to the festival. He hoped he'd be able to catch them before they left.