Chapter 16

Gabriel

It was so easy to get ahead of the women that I knew immediately none of them would ever really match me as a mate.

They were so preoccupied with how they looked as they ran, with what this event was leading up to, that none of them were really letting go. I could see it and smell it. A natural Alpha, released into the forest, should be on the edge of change. I could feel my own wolf huffing and baying to get out.

Within minutes I was far ahead of them. Only a large boulder to round and then the lake would be coming into view.

I ran this trail often, either before dawn or after twilight, and always alone. No one from the Kingdom came out here. They were all so civilized, so hell bent on getting as far away from our natural state as possible.

Normally when I ran, I ran in only light underwear. The shorts I had on felt restrictive, and as soon as I hit the water they bogged me down.

It wasn't enough to slow me; all morning I had been restless, anxious, anticipating seeing Valarie here after the night before. She'd turned down the offer to stay. It bothered me more than it should have. Most women I never would have asked to stay; the ones who did, did so enthusiastically. But not Valarie. She'd slipped through the window as quickly as she'd slipped in, and I woke several times in the night wondering if I'd imagined the whole encounter. But her scent was still on me.

Even emerging from the lake drenched I could smell her. It was so strong that it brought me to a stop, and I lifted my nose, inhaling deeply.

No – this was more than just the scent of sex that Charles had been complaining about earlier.

She was somewhere nearby. Of course. She'd be watching, just like everyone else spread out along the course. I hadn't even considered, so used to seeing her by Sophia's side.

I could hear the sound of bodies hitting the water behind me and knew the women were only a few minutes away. I had to hurry.

With a low growl I started off cutting away from the trail, through the underbrush. It was late enough in the season that there were no flowers on the forest floor but the moss was still lush under my feet.

I hadn't tracked anything in a long time, and the excitement made my body flood with adrenaline. The last time I could remember hunting was with my father, for deer, before it was considered inappropriate for the Alpha to run down their own food.

Valarie was close. She smelled like apples and earth. It made my mouth water as I cut to the left, slightly further away from where everyone else would be gathering at the edge of the forest. She must've taken the long trail around.

As I ran, memories of the night before came unbidden. Her thighs on either side of me, her warm center close enough to taste. The way she moaned and arched her back when I pressed into her. The way she'd tossed her hair back as she met me thrust for thrust, catching me off guard, the innocent country girl abandoning everything to desire.

I burst from the bushes and there she was, panting from her own run through the woods and frozen in surprise.

"Gabriel –"

I cut her off by tackling her, circling her waist quickly and cradling her head as we tumbled to the ground. I couldn't help burying my nose in the crook of her neck and growling lightly.

"Mine."
She shivered at the words and I knew that despite her having left the night before, she felt this just as much as I did. Like instinct. The need to be as close as possible.

Valarie shoved me hard and rolled to the side, rising into a crouch.

"What are you doing?" she hissed angrily. "There are people heading this way! The princesses –"

"They'll be at the horses by now. And the bystanders will be moving toward the obstacle course."

She stood and huffed. Her legs were long, lean, her arms toned as she crossed them over her chest.

"Are you insane?"
I grinned up at her, lake water dripping into my eyes. "Are you afraid we'll get caught?"

She backed up as I stood.

"Get caught...we're not..."

I liked the way she flushed, the blush starting at her throat and working its way up. It made me want to bite her, mark her.

In two short strides I had her up against a tree. She was fighting it, but I could tell by the way she fisted her hands that she wanted to touch me.

"Can I come to you tonight?" I asked in a low voice, dipping down to run my lips along her ear. Her breath caught in her throat.

"I..."

So I had to remind her then. Easy enough.

All it took was one finger grazing her inner thigh and I knew I had her. She stumbled forward, bracing herself against my stomach.

"Tell me you don't want this," I said, pulling back to meet her gaze. Her eyes were heavy lidded, dark like the woods around us.

"Okay," she breathed, biting her lip.

Without warning I dropped to my knees in front of her and caught her eye once more before nipping at the same part of her thigh I'd touched so lightly. She jumped and I stood, grinning at her once more before ducking off toward the shortcut to the obstacle course.

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr