Twelve

The gravel road to Pe'ahi is treacherous, parts of it completely covered in knee deep rain water, other parts muddy and filled with giant potholes. Jungkook is half surprised the kids' cars aren't stuck somewhere along the way. He trudges forward carefully, keeping a hand on Taehyung's arm when it gets extra rocky.

By the time they can see the beach in the distance, the sun has crept up on the horizon, adding a dove grey hue to the rolling clouds. The rain has finally ceased a tad, allowing better visibility to the immense waves ahead. The thundering sounds reverberate through the car windows, like a familiar monster that beckons.

When the road finally opens up to the beach, Jungkook sees vehicles scattered about at the edge, and people huddled nearby. Swell chasers, you're bound to find them all over the world in places like this, following the extreme weather in search for a heady hit of adrenaline. Some have all the bells and whistles - the ATVs, jet skis or even hired helicopters for tow in, fancy self inflating suits with sponsor logos. Others are just locals that get bored of the ordinary, need a jolt to their otherwise mundane lives.

Jungkook slams the car door, and strides past each vehicle, scanning through the people close by, only to be disappointed each time. He steps hasten, not caring as the wind hurls rain drops onto his skin.

Not her. Not her. Not her. Jungkook frowns, and feels his heart sink with each vehicle. Why was he so sure about Pe'ahi again? What if she's somewhere else entirely, or worse yet, already swept up by the tides.

Taehyung is trailing right behind him, chatting with people here and there, asking if they've seen a few eight year old girls around. The words grate on his ears. He's almost afraid to look directly into the waves, dark monsters rising next to them into impossible heights, fueled by the wind and the rain, howling at him tauntingly.

He can't afford to lose her, can't bear the thought of not finding her in her most desperate moment of need. His throat dries and hands shiver, as he wanders aimlessly amongst the barren sand.

Suddenly, Taehyung tugs at his arm and points to a white truck close by, before running towards it. Jungkook's breathes quicken when he follows and spots the tiny figure hiding inside.

There are a few other kids loitering next to the truck. Jungkook ignores them, and sucks in a relieved exhale when he can see the person inside clearly. He knocks on the door hastily.

The gaze that meets his is sharp, mixed with something frustrated that he can't quite decipher. When the door eventually opens, he sees the familiar tiny face, framed by fuzzy dark curls that stick rebelliously out of the stiff ponytail.

"I'm not going home." Yoonji's voice is absolute, brows knitted so tight that her eyes are hooded.

Jungkook feels white searing anger rushing through his head, "The hell you're not! Do you realize how worried everyone's been? You have no place here, not without permission, not at this age."

A growl. Yoonji glares at him, fuming, shoulders heaving with each breath. Jungkook resists the urge to yank her out of the seat and carry her all the way back to his car. He's just about to yell at her again when her expressions suddenly start to crumble. The stiff lips turn downcast, the eyes blink faster, and a wounded snarl escapes, mixed with something almost resembling a sniffle, "What does it matter? I couldn't do it anyways. Couldn't even paddle up to the swell. None of us could..."

Jungkook stares at her, "You already tried?"

"Of course I did! I tried for almost an hour already. It's too choppy out there. And my legs keep seizing up." She looks down and punches at her calf, her whole tiny torso trembling from tension, like a tightened spring threatening to release.