22 | Caren

That was

That was...weird.

I came to see Jade after her not showing up hours ago. She always showed when she said she would, especially to visit the kids—Calen who's she's the Godmother to.

I felt I needed to visit with Chloe and Calen and image my surprise when their nanny Lynn didn't allow me inside to wake my own best friend. Granted, Jade doesn't like being woke up, but she would've definitely made an exception for myself and the kids.

That door shutting in my face worried me. I even tried to call her twice and reached her voicemail. It was something I had to call Joie and Andi about while I was on the road, while Calen watched his tablet with his headphones, Chloe slept in her car seat, and I talked on the phone.

"And Lynn just shut the door in your face?" Andi's voice spoke through my car's speakers, "That is weird."

"It's not weird to me," Joie said secondly. "I know what's going on."

"Did you call her, Care?"

"I did. She didn't answer. It goes straight to voicemail."

Andi had a suggestion. "I think we should have a intervention or something."

"That's not gonna work." Joie responded quickly, "We do that she's only going to shut down. Believe me, I know."

Silence takes over the line for a moment. That is until I had a question. "How should we handle it, Joie?"

"As delicate as possible." Joie answered. "Listen, if she doesn't tell us out of her mouth what's going on that I already know, she's not about to leave him. It will be a waste of time. She gotta do this herself. And honestly, I love her, but I'm not gonna waste my breath if she's insisted on staying with him. Situations like that will get outsiders hurt before the one going through it."

"You're right about that," Andi agreed.

"I agree, too, but..." I shook my head as if they could see me. "I can't not talk to her about it. Or at least try. What happened today really bothered me. I can't let this go."

Joie sighed. "Do what you think you gotta do, Care. I gotta go."

The rush in Joie's voice made confusion appear on my face. "Where are you at, Jojo?"